Overclocking question

V

vnet576

This is my first attempt at overclocking, so any and all advice is appreciated. My specs.

Dell Dimension 4100 PC
Pentium 3 866 mhz Type 06868
Motherboard Intel D815EEA
BIOS number EA81510A.10A.0027.P08.0011280951
BIOS version A06
Ram 192mb PC133
Windows XP Pro SP1

I read that P3 processors can optimally be overclocked to 1ghz. If u need more info on my specs let me know. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums vnet576. :)

Don't know much about overclocking but whatever you do do it in small amounts, then a bit more, so on.

Yup, sort of a 'trial and error' approach is always the best, then you can always take a step back when it goes wrong :)

Try the OverClockers UK forums for a more knowledgable crowd :)

intel board
u wont b able to overclock with that
probably not
dell and all the companies that make computers for you dont use mother boards that can overclock so u cant get extra performance out of the computer

Thanks for all of your tips. Can u give me some pointers on how to try to overclock. Even if it probably won't work, it might. How should I overclock it so that I don't fry my pc. As far as I understand, overclocking is a delicate balance between fsb multipliers, voltage, agp, pci, and ram clock speeds.

As stated above, you will not be able to overclock your PC.

Having owned a Dell I know this. They make sure to lock you out of all advanced BIOS features, and I dont think you can still overclock new pc's with jumpers any longer.

Is there any way to unlock those features. I've never heard of anything on a computer being so locked that u can't unlock it.

One way around this if you have a Dell computer is to find out what the PLL chip is on your motherboard, and see if any software overclocking programs support it such as softFSB or cpuFSB. To find out what type of PLL chip is in your dell, go here
cpuFSB can be downloaded here
I'm not sure about softFSB but searching google will turn up some results.
Good luck
jumpy

U GUYS ROCK, especially u Jumpy. This program that u recommended works. It lets me set the fsb. My question now is what do I set the values to.
My current frequency:
FSB 60.0 MHz PCI 30.0 MHz RAM 90.0 MHz
Multiplier 6.5
What are optimal and safe values?

133 MHz
Multiplier is right though.
6.5 * 133 = 864.5 ~= 866

Which one of the programs are u using vnet? Because as zedric said, for a p3 your fsb should be 133mhz. Are you sure you've selected the correct PLL, because strange things can happen such as this if you've got it wrong. If your cpu really is running at 66mhz, you can check this by downloading wcpuid here you'll need to change some bios settings or jumper settings on your board. As for what is the safe limit, just take it up in the smallest increments possible, and watch those temps. When u take it up one increment too high your pc will probably lock up or give u a bsod. You'll have to actually turn off your computer when this happens because the fsb value has been written to the PLL chip so resetting sometimes won't work (well it doesnt on mine anyways :)). For your pci, mine is running at 41mhz right now which is fairly high - I dont think you'd want to go any higher than that.
good luck, have fun
jumpy

I was using cpufsb. I made a mistake. The program lists all of the POSSIBLE fsb configurations on my system. Not the one I currently have. And your right my current one is 6.5*133=866mhz.
Jumpy, at what speed is your ram and agp running at?

memory is running at 124mhz, synchronous with my system bus - giving my old celery 124mhz x 9.5 = 1178. My agp is at 82mhz:eek:

jumpy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back