overclocking question

B

bhxtyrant

ive been reading alot about overclocking the processor to add speed ect but i dont know how to go about doing it or what is needed i believe i saw a software to use in another thread would that be all i need?the pc i want to overclock is an AMD duron 751MHZ with 448 megs of sdram.would it be safe to O/C of a duron processor?i am planning on trying Easy Tune4 which i downloaded but i wanted to ask here first to make sure its safe since this is my only PC and im broke right now and cant afford to buy another one yet

O/C question please help

this is the second time I have had to merge 2 threads on the same subject... please REFRAIN from continuously doing the same... there is no logical reason for your to start 2 threads on the same topic... Sazar

First: Get Major Cooling Dude
Second: Yes there are programs like SoftFSB to oc your processor, but they have to support your mobo
Third...: Any questions? First do a search on overclocking on the forum, you'll find lots and lots of it...

what type of cooling would you recomend for my system?like i said im a beginner so im just starting to learn everything i started out just custom building now i want to move up to overclocking.

ok basically... I don't think its really worth oc'ing your rig...

oc'ing is GENERALLY only for benchmarks unless you oc like 500mhz or more.. and you need to have uber cooling to do that...

plus you void all warranties...

I would not recommend using third party software to oc your rig... better use jumpers or bios settings...

you are not going to notice a distinguishable difference to the naked eye in any performance with an increase of a few mhz here and there...

don't risk it... just save up and get a new rig later... don't burn out what you have :)

thanx for the info i am currently saving up to custom build a new PC i cant wait lol.im leaning towards an AMD athlon xp 2100 or 2200 processor with an atx ga-7dx+ amd 761 agpset,1.5 gig ddr ram and eigther a geforce 4 ti4200 or a radeon 9700 graphics card:) but after building it i might be to afraid to try to O/C it lol ill just use my old one to expieriment on

didnt you just post this in the overclocking section of the forum? no double post needed really

please do not repeatedly open threads on the same topic m8..

if you want help people will offer their 2 cents...

you are not going to get more help by starting numerous threads on teh same subject...

cheers

sorry about that i am a newbie to the site and posted the topic under hardware then i happened to notice the overclocking section and thought i would get more results from posting there

If i were you id get a gigabyte or asus mobo with a via chipset. I personally like overclocking and DO see a day to day performance gain. However. What mobo are you running with that duron. And yes its very safe to overclock a duron. Since a 1.3 gig duron is only about 30 bucks here imagine a replacment for yours lol. I personally get a 1.2 duronm to 1.4 gig. So it is doable. What id recommend is getting a thermaltake volcano 7 cpu fan or something of the sort and going for it. If you need help with setting the bios say so

well the problem is the computer im using is a compaq and i havent got a clue what type of mobo is in there but i know it has a via chipset i tried checking under device manager but all it says about the mobo is "Standard system devices" i kinda figured durons were really checp by now considering processors go up to 2.8GHZ now. i dont really want to put much time and effort into this computer seeing as im going to custom build one soon that will have a AMD Athlon xp 2400,and gigabyte ga-7vaxp mobo and volcano 9 HSF.so thats going to be the major project but i think i will upgrade the duron some to make it a fairly reasonable PC by upgrading to a duron 1.4GHZ processor and ill probally have to get a new mobo so ill go for a gigabyte mobo i just have to do research and find one to fit my case.

I OC'ed my 600 duron to 1150mhz not bad for a 30 dallor cpu.

problem is they dont make a dron 1.4 gig yet. second dont even go with a duron if that mobo will let you change the multipliers. Third you might not even be able to overclock or install a new cpu because compaq and hewlett packard like knowing the fact that to upgrade that system. you gotta buy a new one. Most of the mother boards have locked multipliers and locked fsb settings and worse yet have locked voltage settings. (hp calls them throw away boards) i hade one with an 533 celeron and i dl a new bios for it and everything to take a 1.3 tualatin. think it worked? nope. cant change the cpu cuzz of the locked voltage.. so id just put your time and money into the new computer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back