OSNN Senior Addict
My system
ABIT AN7
HyperX PC3500
Audigy MP3+
ATI 9800 Pro
AMD T-Bred 2100+ XP
My HS/F: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...HAC-V81+X-DREAM

My Problem: I can't get my system to run at 200 FSB.

Current config (stable):

12 x 180 @ 1.75
All other voltage default
Memory Timings 6-2-2-2
Load CPU temp: 101° F

What I have tried

11 x 200 @ 1.8
Vdimm: 2.7/2.8/2.9
VNB: 1.70/1.75
Memory Timing 6-3-3-2 stable looping memtest 10 times

10 x 200 @ 1.75/1.8
Vdimm: 2.7/2.8/2.9
Vnb: 1.70/1.75
Timing 5-3-3-2 stable looping memtest 10 times
6-3-3-2 stable looping memtest 10 times

With the above settings window would only make it to the splash screen.

I then set everything back to default. Just messed with the CPU and set it to 13 x 196 @ 1.75 was able to boot into windows but I didn't like the CPU temp of 141° F.

My question if my memory and mobo can handle 200 mhz fsb. In theory I should have to mess with the Northbridge, and DIMM voltage. Just the CPU. So am I safe to say its the CPU that doesn't like the 200 FSB?

No your cpu will not like it because your cpu has a fron sid bus of 266mhz so pushing it upto 400mhz is just not a reachable goal i am afraid ,the *best* you could hope for is something upto about 280mhz

indyjones said:
No your cpu will not like it because your cpu has a fron sid bus of 266mhz so pushing it upto 400mhz is just not a reachable goal i am afraid ,the *best* you could hope for is something upto about 280mhz

that's wrong, don't listen ot his silly non-sense....

What I would try.. is double check that all your AGP and PCI settings are locked in the BIOS... don't leave them at Auto, set AGP at 66 and PCI at 33.

Push the voltage a little higher on the CPU if needed, also loosen the timings on your RAM alot, you shouldn't have to, but get yourself stable in Windows, then tighten the settings up until you aren't stable anymore.

Goatman said:
that's wrong, don't listen ot his silly non-sense....

Want to put money on it?
i am all for overclocking as i have my 2500+ running at 3200+ speeds with a FSB of 400Mhz

but we are talking about going from 333->400 which is a mere 67Mhz!
going from 266->400 is 174Mhz a bit of a difference there!
The T-Bred core athlons were not designed to run at those speeds hence they changed to the bartons I was mearly stating that that is just too much he would be better upping the clock speeds and using a front-side bus of 333mhz if it reaches that far!
To dismiss my realistic comments as "non-sense" clearly means you have mis-read the post of
r been on the fermented goat's cheese :mad:

There is no way in hell an XP2100 will run at FSB 200.

If it runs at 166 consider yourself lucky beyond belief.

For Some Reason despite recieving the email for this the post has dissapeared
but here it is:

LeeJend has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Overclocking question. - in the Other Hardware forum of NTFS Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2133&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
There is no way in hell an XP2100 will run at FSB 200.

If it runs at 166 consider yourself lucky beyond belief.

UPDATE:
I built a system yesturday with n ASUS nforce 2 board the AZN8X-X and with a thoughbread cpu 2400+ i accedently put the FSB to 166 (=333Mhz) and it would not boot. I am afraid its impossable for you to get 3200+ speeds @400Mhz FSB from a 2100+ chips with its normal FSB of 266Mhz

I deleted that answer. I decided it was too negative and I didn't want to spur creativity. So I figured I'd let him crash a few dozen times for the experience...

Actually I was researching it more and decided he might get 400 FSB to work if the multiplier was set low enough. I doubt that would buy anything in performance improvement though.

An interesting science project. I was waiting to hear back. None of my MB's will allow multiplier adjustment.

Its the processor not the mobo that locks the multiplier ;)

Why not buy components that run at the speeds you want?

Several of the better overclocking MB's will ignore the Processor Locks just like they ignore the FSB settings in the processor.

As for "why not just buy the speed Proc you want"?

2500 $84 ...
2600 $94 ... 4% speed increase for 12% price increase (what a waste)
2800 $126 ... 8% speed increase for 34% price increase (this is offensive)
3000 $174 ... 7% speed increase for 39% price increase (I have swamp land to sell you)

I have a 2600 I run at 184 FSB yielding 3000 performance. Thats 15% extra performance in CPU throughput for free. On top of that my FSB and RAM are overclocked yielding an 11% memory bandwidth boost with synchronous operation. Also for free.

Only someone with more money than sense would pay the outrageous price increases charged for small percentage performance improvements near the top end of the processor speeds.

BTW I only bought a 2600 (over the 2500) because it was part of an excellent bundle deal.

Point is, is it worth voiding the warranty for 4% speed increase, 8% speed increase, etc, just a thought. Anyways can you really tell the difference, NO. I think people are way too concerned with 3DMark scores.

I have a P4 2.53 running at 2.53, and the only difference I ever noticed when bumping the FSB speed up was the temp, a scorching 50C idle at 2.8GHz [atleast to my normal 30C/37C idle/load temps].

It all depends what you do. I do alot of video/audio editing/encoding. A small increase goes a long way

LeeJend said:
I deleted that answer. I decided it was too negative and I didn't want to spur creativity. So I figured I'd let him crash a few dozen times for the experience...

Actually I was researching it more and decided he might get 400 FSB to work if the multiplier was set low enough. I doubt that would buy anything in performance improvement though.

An interesting science project. I was waiting to hear back. None of my MB's will allow multiplier adjustment.

ooopppss nevermind then :rolleyes:
I was trying just to avoid a sob stroy in his next post saying he had screwed his motherboard and cpu. I am all for overclocking (accedently done mine as all ready said :p ) but these things have limits plus i dont think j79zlr is too far wrong with the 3dmark scores bit there seems to be alot of competion in computing these days

You can't void your warantee from overclocking a processor. (Video cards claim to have OC detecton capability built in now, but not Processors).

And yes, the overclocking I acheived made the difference between lag in my favorite game and there is a noticeable difference in several office applications. I'm getting about a 25% speed boost because the overclocking is on the FSB which is a choke point in AMD XP systems. That would cost me about $200 to buy up front.

When you get something for free you take it. (Unless you have more money than brains.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back