overclocking question

J

jumpy

hi everyone
i've been doing some overclocking on my old celeron, see sig, and i was having some problems with getting any higher than 124Mhz fsb, i think mainly because the agp bus and pci bus speeds go too high at that fsb with a 1/3 pci multiplier? am i correct in saying that? i couldnt even get it to the bios when i set jumper to 133Mhz.

by the way i can set jumper either 66,100,133 or auto, i want to set it to 133 so that the pci speed goes down because it will go down to 1/4 the fsb = 33Mhz i think. :confused:
there is no place in the bios (phoenix 6.00) to change the fsb/pci ratio so i think the jumper setting is the only way.
so what i'd like really is to have my pci and agp bus running at a normal speed but my cpu overclocked and memory at 133.
does anyone follow me, or think i'm completely nuts....

i want to know if that's what the jumper is doing, changing the fsb/pci ratio, if it is, any suggestions as to why it won't even make it to bios at 133?
thanks in advance

p.s and no i dont have any money to buy a new top of the line athlon XP. poor uni student :(

Ive got my motherboard jumper set to auto, it allowed better overclocking (for me at least).

I have PC-133 memory and can get overclocked FSB to 145 and the PCI bus goes upto 36 (i think).

but $tUy_B your default fsb is 133 so it makes it easier, and your pci automatically gets set at 1/4 your fsb i think.
with my celeron it detects it as 100 fsb and therefore sets my pci to 1/3 == 33Mhz.
which means if i go to 133 from my bios settings my pci bus goes to 44 and my agp bus to 88 which is a bit high i think, i think though if i set my fsb to 133 on my mobo it will take the pci down to 1/4 instead of 1/3, is that right?

....whats left of my brain is hurting too :)

lol.. yea. sorry..forgot you got a celery, my bad.

does your motherboard let you change the fsb in 1Mhz steps, or to only fixed speeds like 66/100/133.

If you can try upping the fsb with the 1mhz stepping..and see whta happens.

maybe i'm asking a bit much of my celeron that would be a 33% o/c although it should still make it to bios, it wasn't getting hot either. maybe the voltage?

umm yeah, celeron's are all good, no my motherboard doesn't do 1mhz stepping, goes 103,105,110,115,120,124,133.
i think the 124 to 133 step is too big, shame on aopen.

Not all motherboards will or let you changed the pci clock...
It's a limitation of your motherboard... +24FSB is a good overclock...

I'm at 152FSB on a 133mhz chip... = +19mhz...

Originally posted by MiseryQv2.1
Not all motherboards will or let you changed the pci clock...
It's a limitation of your motherboard...

perhaps on some mobos

if you oc your fsb... the pci clock automatically will increase also...

different mobo's work it differently but it WILL increase far as I know..

if you can keep your pci clock lower than 40 you are doing well... above 40 you start getting issues with the stability... above lik 42-45 you are guaranteed instability... also you may burn out some devices... so you don't want to push it up too high...

Originally posted by Sazar
perhaps on some mobos

if you oc your fsb... the pci clock automatically will increase also...

different mobo's work it differently but it WILL increase far as I know..

The AGP/PCI FSB always increase when you turn up the system FSB... When you get past that 40mhz AGP then SOME boards will go to a lower AGP/PCI clock... Two of my computers are suppose to do that but have no settings for it,,, It's done automatically...

i have a celeron 1.3ghz @ 1.48 ghz, (114x13.0) the multiplier is locked so the only thing to change is the fsb, i'm stuck now bcuz the pci is 38 mhz, and soundcard fails above that, i also tried the 133mhz option, but it's no use bcuz a celeron does not support 133 mhz, it just wont start up, it's a 100 mhz fsb processor, so stick to this overclock, sounds good to me!:D

Originally posted by MiseryQv2.1
The AGP/PCI FSB always increase when you turn up the system FSB... When you get past that 40mhz AGP then SOME boards will go to a lower AGP/PCI clock... Two of my computers are suppose to do that but have no settings for it,,, It's done automatically...

pci runs @ 33 default... agp runs @ 66 default...

lol yeah.... btw, i've heard that the P4 1.5ghz is a 133 mhz fsb 370 pins processor, is that true? cuz if it is i'm throwing out my celeron immediatly...cuz my board does support the 133 mhz fsb, it's just that the celeron doesn't

like is there a processor that supports 133 mhz fsb and has a clock speed above 1.3 ghz?

no i meant that the 478 socket is not the only p4 socket

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back