Overclocking help

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
i have a amd xp 2400 - 2000 mhz
right now got it oc'd to 2600 - 2100 mhz

just wanted to know how hot are the 2400 cpu allowed to get ..or..like...recomended range...and if anyone knows..how much can these cpu overclock to..speed ranges?

overclocking with ECS L7VMM2 mobo..not that great of a mobo but its doin it for now any ideas?

Wouldn't go over 50dC with it.

Love the nforce 2 boards for overclocking.

dreamliner77 said:
Wouldn't go over 50dC with it.

Love the nforce 2 boards for overclocking.

.....50 degrees c...mmm i think i already have...lol..mayb i shud check the thermal paste n all ...n try some arctic silver..see if that helps?...

my p4 gets up to 52dC with long periods of UT2004...shoud i be worried :confused:

:p not totally sure tho u might wanna wait for someone elses answer..buh i think im right..or mayb its the other way around..buh i have a feeling im right lol

Intels do seem to take more heat.

Look at the AMD site and see what they say for heat. It is only my suggestion to not go over 50 or so.

i looked on the intel site and couldn't really find anything...except for something saying the max case temp should not exceed 70dC....but that seems rather excessive

dreamliner77 said:
...Intels do seem to take more heat...

Really? What are Intels max die temp? I know AMD Athlon XPs max die temps are about 90ºC.
Anyway, IMO I'd wouldn't go over 60ºC. 50ºC to 60ºC is a good range. 70ºC is pushing it.

the temp at 2400 speeds is 50 dC...
at 2600 its like 50-51...
shouldn't there be a bigger differnece?

also should the temp at 2400 be lower? that is the stock speed of the chip...

heat generated by a cpu can have any amount of variance depending on yield/conditions within the case and what not..

there does not need to be a large difference between temps per se....

amd's cpu's are designed upto temps of approx 80-85C but if you are getting that high you have problems anyways :)

50c idle is still rather warm... but not a level to worry about... I would be more interested in the load temps...

overclocking mileage varies.. some people get excellent oc's... others do not get much at all.. all relative...

on a related question.. intel's max rated temps are lower than amd's but they have thermal throttling and other ways to protect the cpu that amd did not have till their 64bit cpu's came out...

put on some artic silver and now its when i just start and load up the bios its at about 39 dC after a bit it gets to about 43 dC idle..
ok for now?..

Never overclocked myself I must add, read about it, and seen lists of what can do what. Is it a case of pushing it too far and watch it fry?

I would not run an overclocked CPU over 55 deg C at max load (video gaming for 20 minutes or running the sisoft sandra CPU burn in test for about 5 cycles). That would be about 50 at idle. Most people prefer to keep their CPUs in the 40's.

It may say 55 but there is so much variation in temp sensors (under socket or on cpu diode), MB scaling factors, and even variation in the actuial sensor characteristics the temps could be 10 degrees higher. Also the cpu temp will go up with room temp come summer so you need some safety margin.

Check the CPU temp once a month to see if the system and/or fans are building up a dust coating, it raises temperatures. With power off, blow the dust off with one of the duster products. Don't forget inside the power supply too. I blasted some dust bunnies out of there you wouldn't beleive!

If you keep the temp in the mid 50's you can keep pushing the CPU speed a little at a time until it won't boot/crashes. At that point you may need to do a cmos reset. If you have an nf2 board nvidia has a utility that lets you overclock from windows so if you go too far and the system crashes you just reboot and your back at the lower bios settings. If you set the bios and it won't boot you have to do a cmos reset which carries the risk of screwing up the bios (see other posts and MB warnings about power being off during cmos resets). Gigabyte also has a windows overclocking tool. In both cases make sure the utility is set so it does not automatically overclock at boot up.

I have my XP2600 Barton just a hair under an XP3000 rating with total stability and max temp under load at 43 deg C. But the Barton has more surface are than the Tbred so it cools better so your resulst will be hotter depending on your fan and case cooling.

Also remember in overclocking if the FSB and memory clock are not the same speed your performance will be lower so try and overclock them to the same amount even if it means keeping the FSB a little lower than is possible. Even cheap 333 RAM seems to overclock nicely at CL2.5

im not sure about the temps tho...does motherboard monitor support my board?..ECS L7VMM2?? what sensor would i have to use?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back