Overclocking a GeForce 4 MX440

D

donkey

I installed coolbits to overclock my card. What should I set the core clock fequency to and the memory clock frequency to to get the best performance without stuffing up my system or damaging something (If this is dependant on what system people have, no-one will know then). I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDRAM.

Also, should I use the GeForce Tweak Utility (GTU) if I've already overclocked with coolbits? What's the difference or are there advantages?

Thanks

o/c the memory first up to how far it will go....go up by 5.....test.....if its aite.....5 more.....test..and so on...when it seems to be gettin weird on u...bring it back down by 1's till its fine
then u start with the core...same procedure...up by 5..test..5....test....
back down by 1's if the pictures seems irregular
not really any specific numbers it will clock up to
theres to many factors that affect how far the card can reach

good luck

I heard with overclocking that the card can over heat and do some damage. Is this a problem and if so, how can I find out what temp. my card is at and how high it can go.

When your display starts going "wierd" this is due to the card overheating, so that is how high the card can go.

When silicon gets hot it starts conducting better, so its effectiveness as a semi-conductor gets worse and you get current leaking. This obviously screws with the maths the chip is doing because it finds gates on and off where they shouldn't be, so the display gets artifacts, goes nuts, or in some cases just locks up entirely and crashes the machine.

Unless you shove the speed straight from normal up to the max then everything should be ok - just follow desimatrix's advice.

:)

I am having a problem particularly on sports games where the screen seems to have tears in it. Could overclocking fix this maybe and with overclocking, is there really much of a difference in the graphics like I mean is it worth it. (Speed is no prob with an AMD 1800).

yes overclocking may fix that
but if you overclock it too much...it could become worse then it already is and you dont want that

Originally posted by donkey
I am having a problem particularly on sports games where the screen seems to have tears in it. Could overclocking fix this maybe and with overclocking, is there really much of a difference in the graphics like I mean is it worth it. (Speed is no prob with an AMD 1800).

Actually, if you can turn the refresh rate up on your monitor...that should help keep the sceen from "tearing" alot.

how does one overclock the graphic card?

i supposse i don't need to, though..

i've got a geforce4 mx 64mb, athlon 850 mhz and 256 mb sdram.
the graphics card isn't setting the limit - either the memory or the cpu is, so it's useless to overclock the graphics card.
am i right? i'm not very good at this field, so i'm not very sure about those things i just wrote. :)

Screen tearing occurs when FPS is greater than your refresh rate

there are only 2 methods to fix screen tearing.

1. Turn on vsync (but this creates extra load on the video card as it has to slow down its hardware which actually uses resources =P)

2. Limit the framerate ingame. (some games can some games can't. For counter-strike, just type in fps_max <frame> and that'll be the max and thus no screen tearing.

there is a third method but i don't think people can afford expensive high refresh rate monitors just to play games =P

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back