Overclockers.. i am thinking of trading in my 512mb ram for 1gig.. help!

T

ThePunkerGuy

Ok, here is my question.. right now i have
2 sticks of 256mb Corsiar PC-3200LL running in dual channel. I am running it at 420Mhz fsb rock stable.
the specs on these chips are:
Specifications:
Speed 400 MHz
Organization 2 x 32M x 64
CAS Latency 2-2-2-6-T1
Memory type DDR
Part number: TWINX512-3200LL

Ok, i used to have 768mb of ram before i built this setup, and i miss it.. i can tell a difference and really want more ram. Since i am doing the dual channel thing i guess the only option i have is to get 2X512mb sticks of ram. I only have like $220 to spend on these new sticks of ram. Well, the ram i have now has the timing of 2-2-2-6-T1 and runs fine at that timing overclocked to 420mhz.
Here is what i want to know, i am looking at getting 2 sticks of this ram:
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader
Specifications:
Speed 400MHz
Organization 32MX8
CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
Memory type DDR

These chips are only $109 a piece at newegg. They have slower timings of 2-3-3-6-T1. Here are the questions i have.
1. Will these chips run at 420Mhz easy without relaxing the timings any?
2. If i buy them not as a "Twinx" set, will they still run fine in dual channel?
3. How much slower will they be since the timings are slower than my current ram?

Ok, thanks!!

I would sugest something but the mods tend to look down on me every time I sugest something other then corsair ram in the forums :(

Punk,

I have that exact corsair memory with silver heatspreader. Its running with my P4PE and P4 2.4 C1 stepping. I was wondering if i should get 512k more memory to make 1Gb even. I've experienced lagging and so forth and I am not sure if I can blame it on the memory or not. I have my FSB @ 150 making my memory 400Mhz. I'm not sure what to expect out of this memory since I have no real experience with good memory but I'd like to hear some peoples opinions on whether 1Gb is a waste in my case in terms of performance gain vs, money spent.

i know for a fact games are already utilizing over 512mb of physical memory. so my 2x512mb shoud be arriving any day now. :cool:

Originally posted by Krux
I would sugest something but the mods tend to look down on me every time I sugest something other then corsair ram in the forums :(
*cough* crucial! *cough* :mad:

:blink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back