Overclock your mouse

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
I'm not kidding!

If you have a PS/2 mouse you overclock it by increasing the sample rate, this will give a noticable response

PS/2 is faster than USB and mechanical mice are faster than flashy optical mice...check out the article here:

http://www.livepc.tv/livepc_mouse.shtml

Taken from PCG Christmas 2001

Seem to have updated their since since the mag was written, the article is now here:

http://www.livepc.tv/?sC=20

livepc_mouse.jpg

ps, its also a video article ;)

Interesting. I'm after the latest Logitech dual sensor mouse tho it's apparantly got a high enough scan rate to be useable for games :D

I use the microsoft explorer 3.0 optical mouse...100 times better for gaming...it samples at some ridiculous rate of thousands per second and never skips a beat...

it's either 2000 or 3000 unless that's a newer mouse than the one I read about :) games need about 5000 scans/sec to allow for those quick maneuvers I think (according to what info I've seen anyway :p)

I HAVE THE LOGITECH DUAL SENSOR MOUSE AND IT IS MEASURED THE SAME AS A SCANNER AS IN DPI.
THE LOGITECH MODEL THAT BEAT MICROSOFTS MOUSE OF THE YEAR COMES WITH A 300DPI SCAN,WHICH IS SAID TO BE OKAY FOR MOST GAMES BUT NOT FOR UNREAL OR QUAKE BECAUSE THE RESPONSE IS NOT FAST ENOUGH.
NOT SO IN MY CASE AS I HAVE THE MODEL ABOVE THIS WITH THE WORLD FIRST 600DPI SCAN,BUT THE DOWNSIDE IS IT ONLY COMES IN A KIT WITH THE LOGITECH CORDLESS KEYBOARD.

Just to let you know, any cordless mice wont really benefit from this as they will only refresh at the same frequency as the cordless transmission signal. This is certainly true for the Logitech Cordless Desktop, I am not sure if any of this has been changed in more recent models.

I've also got an MS explorer intellimouse, blows the old ball mouse out the water.

As for the refresh, its fine, JediKnight2 no proplems moving or manouvering, same with Max Payne, Quake, and many others. I hink some one is having a piss take, optical and USB are better than PS/2 and thats FACT.

AS I WROTE EARLIER THE 600 DPI MOUSE WILL OUTPERFORM MOST NORMAL BALL AND CABLE MICE BUT TO THE LAST PERSONS ANSWER,THE ps2 CONNECTION IS FASTER THAN THE USB 1.1(12KBPS)CONNECTION.
tHATS WHY logitech

sorry sent unfinished there.
THATS WHY LOGITECH GIVE YOU AN USB TO PS2 ADAPTER AND ALSO MEANS NOT USING UP PRESIOUS USB PORTS

Originally posted by john30uk
AS I WROTE EARLIER THE 600 DPI MOUSE WILL OUTPERFORM MOST NORMAL BALL AND CABLE MICE BUT TO THE LAST PERSONS ANSWER,THE ps2 CONNECTION IS FASTER THAN THE USB 1.1(12KBPS)CONNECTION.
tHATS WHY logitech
Would you please turn off CAPS LOCK??
USB is alot faster than 12kbps. It's somewhere over 1Mbps anyway.

reply to Zedric

Zedric usb1.1 which is the old usb we mostly have built into our motherboards only tranfers at 12KBPS where as the new usb 2.0 tranfers at 480KBPS and Firewire also known as( E1329 OR SOMETHING) CAN MAANGE 400kbps.
Remember these firgure will be different if printed in BITS rather than BYTES.
Im sure if you go to any website concerning US

rest of last post

or Motherboards you will read the same as i did!

USB 1.1=12 Mbps=1.5 MB/s

This means that USB 1.1's speed is 12 Mbps or Mega-bits per second, one megabit is equal to one eighth of a mega-byte. Therefore, 12 Mega-bits per second is equal to 1.5 Mega-bytes per second.

I got a Razer Boomslang 2000 and i can say, this is the best mouse for online gaming. It is so sensible that you can do fast moves and still have a fine movement. I love this mouse, but it has some manufactured problems.

http://razer.tigga.org

This is the best site for information about the Boomslang. Everyone who wants to buy a Boomslang should read the forums how to fix the errors, that the mouse often has when you buy it.

so is a usb connection better and faster than ps2 connection and where can i get a razor boomslang from in the uk?

XP PRO
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512mb PC2100 DDR RAM
866AS ULTRA MOTHERBOARD
64 MEG GE-FORCE 2 MX400
40 GIG HD
TEAC 40X CD-ROM
LITEON 32X12X40 RE-WRITER
Realtek 10/100 Family Fast Ethernet NIC
19" LG FLATRON MONITOR
MICROSOFT INTELLIMOUSE OPTICAL
CREATIVE SOUNDWORKS DIGITAL

Actually, PS/2 is faster than USB, as for where to get a Boomslang in the UK, I don't know, just look online.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back