overclock amd64?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
well ive heard that the amd64 are locked while the fx series are unlocked. If thats the case, why do i need a faster ram e.g. 2-2-2-5. isnt it pointless to get a low one when i cant even overclock it? btw i will be buying an amd 64 3500+ 1gb corsair 3200llpro, 2 raptors raid 0. just a question of how do you overclock it cuz the fsb is locked? am i right?

[EDIT]
p.s. i was really leaning more towards the P4 because of the HT. but i did hold my ground and still stay with the amd line. plus the AMD thrend by sazar is getting to me. hehe...I WANT INNNN....

well maybe you should have gone for the pentium, since intels next procs will use the socket 775 itll be easier to upgrade. for AMD you have to get socket 939, most of the mobos use the older PCI and agp bus, so u gotta but new mobo if you wanna take adavantage of the newer PCIE graphics card like the geforce 6600gt for instance this card is great! costs about $183 and is enven better then the radeon 9800pro! also it supports SLI.

and as for ur overclocking query, no the fsb is not locked only the multi is locked (top locked as it cant be increased but be decreased, on the fx procs its totally unlocked). if your sure about getting the AMD proc get a mobo with the nvidia 250gb chipsets these oc better then VIA. look at some oc sites to learn how to overclock the proc. heres a good sit:
www.extremeoverclocking.com i use this place and the people there are very helpful.

fantasi said:
well ive heard that the amd64 are locked while the fx series are unlocked. If thats the case, why do i need a faster ram e.g. 2-2-2-5. isnt it pointless to get a low one when i cant even overclock it? btw i will be buying an amd 64 3500+ 1gb corsair 3200llpro, 2 raptors raid 0. just a question of how do you overclock it cuz the fsb is locked? am i right?

[EDIT]
p.s. i was really leaning more towards the P4 because of the HT. but i did hold my ground and still stay with the amd line. plus the AMD thrend by sazar is getting to me. hehe...I WANT INNNN....

;)

the mult is unlocked downwards as elektro slime said...

generally speaking if you are looking to oc, dropping the mult and upping the "FSB" is one way to do things...

personally speaking I am not a huge fan of that with the new a64 setups mainly because the front side bus in the true sense of the word does not increase... the processor is not gaining much by way of modification of fsb v/s mult... your main performance gain will be achieved through faster memory clocks...

getting an nf3 250Gb or a via k8t800pro chipset will serve you just as well... both have advantages and both have drawbacks... alternatively if you want to wait for a couple of months, nf4 and new ati, via and other chipsets will be available with pci-express tech onboard...

the system you are looking at looks good btw :) and wrt my a64 guide.. I will update eventually... I just haven't had any time recently with work and everything else... perhaps you can add a chapter or two when you get your work on your computer completed :D

keep us posted

hehe thx for the replys guys...esp sazar, for some reason i just knew you wre gonna answer :). anyways i should have probably shed some light more. the 3500+ that ill be getting will be a 939 and the motherboard is the MSI K8N Neo 2 plat so it is indeed an nforce 2 250 gb hehe. =) . reason ill be getting that board is because i have already purchased e.g. its right in front of me, 6800GT agp 8x ver. reason i got that was i am like you that i want to wait for pci-x to get more established and in turn, get cheaper.

So your advice sazar is to not over clock the fsb? isnt it, if i change hte fsb, then the ram which is runing on 400, isnt in sync anymore? i dunno much bout what im talking half the time. =\.

fantasi said:

[EDIT]

The AMD 64 is multiplier unlocked downwards ... but my 3500 Winchester works better left @ x11 multiplier and adjust the FSB which goes from 200 - 400 Mhz on an Abit AV8 socket 939. Have overclocked to 217 Mhz so far , on base setting of 204 x11.
Other boards such as Gigabyte etc will leave you in trouble without independent AGP V , DDR v and HT v settings.
CPU Fan resets itself according to load on the system.

my board does not have agp/pci locks on it and yet I have no stability issues if I leave it running @ 220fsb x 11... but I have only left it at that for a few days due to concerns over the oc'd pci/agp...

as is I generally run with C'n'Q so oc'ing as oc'ing is not really my cup of tea...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back