Over-Intrusive Web Ads

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
Go to weather.com sometime. They have the *worst* ads, perhaps only rivaled by M$N and salon.com's forced ad (although you get a free day pass that you can do every day to avoid paying for premium services :p).

They're advertising for that stupid Incredible Hulk movie and not only do they shove it down your throat like the rest of their ads (DHTML / "Rich Media" ads), but it has loud sound (blasting over my CD playing) and literally shakes the entire window (thank you, M$, for yet another useless feature, but still refuses to natively support PNG transparency).

I will now refuse to watch that film (although I had no intention of ever watching it). But that poses a question. How many of you are actually influenced by these stupid ads...and how many of you will actually stay away from a product or service *because of* its ad?

Melon

Ehm.. I just see one flash advert on the right hand side...

Are you talking about the popup that I didn't have the priviledge of viewing with Mozilla/Firebird? :p

No, not a pop-up window. It must do something with layers / DHTML, because it literally comes out of the middle of nowhere and runs amok on the screen. I'm sure you've seen them before. It's a fascinating technology, but it always seems as if there is no real use for it, except to increasingly annoy and piss people off.

To advertisers: I don't want to buy your crap!

Melon

I know the adverts you are on about. Some of the buggers dont have an obvious close button either. Puts me off whatever they are trying to sell!

I've just visited it in *cringe* Internet Explorer and all I get is a pop-up.
Of course in Mozilla, I get nothing.

I use explorer with a popup stopper and it doesn't seem to appear. but i know the ones you mean, very annoying. Used to be ones on the Virgin site (the company not...aything else:)) that couldn't be closed, so i stopped going to that site

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back