over clocking my K7

dubstar

format c:
Win XP SP1
AMD-K7, 548MHz, 352MB RAM, MAXTOR 92040U6 (with 19462MB Capacity), S3 Graphics - Savage4 display adapter. What can i overclock this to, and test its stability?

[ps: if you've read my other post about buying a new comp, i just want to have some fun, and test out my o/c skills:blink: ]

im a rookie so be kind...:confused:

What motherboard do you have? The mobo is one of the deciding factors in your overclock.

a K7 at 550mhz? i've never heard of such a thing. if it's a K7, then it might be underclocked as is, as the slowest K7 starts at 650mhz. or it could be a 550mhz K6, but i've never heard of one of those, either.

anyone know what a 550mhz AMD chip would be?

Originally posted by taurus
a K7 at 550mhz? i've never heard of such a thing. if it's a K7, then it might be underclocked as is, as the slowest K7 starts at 650mhz. or it could be a 550mhz K6, but i've never heard of one of those, either.

anyone know what a 550mhz AMD chip would be?

AMD K6-550MHZ
Retail Price: $45.00

http://www.compexp.net/category.cfm?Category=12

I have an AMD Athalon K7 750mhz in my box w/ a Gigabyte GA-7IXE mobo if ya still wanna give some tips for OC :p

They do exist, I had a K7 500MHz a while ago, it got passed down to my dad's computer when I upgraded though.

its definitly a K7- 550mhz. how can i find out what mobo i have? do i need to pop the case open? or can i run software that could tell me? thanks:)

ok peep this:

AMD 756(tm)
AMD 756AC

in a little white box it says
S30 Main Board
99110-1
48.32GO1.011

i touched the AMD 756 chip thing and it wasnt hot, i dont know what that means, but i figured if it was hot already, i shouldnt o/c.

thanks, i look forward to your responces

Originally posted by dubstar
its definitly a K7- 550mhz. how can i find out what mobo i have? do i need to pop the case open? or can i run software that could tell me? thanks:)
either way, i suggest you open up the case. at least it clean it out since you're going to be overclocking. get the dust out of the heatsinks, make sure all fans are running, and maybe tidy up the cables a bit.

Board: IBM S30 ''
Serial Number: ''
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. S30EN0V 09/07/99

:) i downloaded BELARCH ADVISOR.

ok i got it figured out, using CPUFSB 2.2.10 and i didnt have any errors, but it didnt change the frequency.. any solution?

(so can i call myself an official over clocker now?);)

You'll need to find out what PLL your motherboard has. To quote myself in the previously linked thread

To find out what type of PLL chip is in your dell, go here

In your case IBM, but you get the point :)

i had the other URL open, but i was reading it the same time i was posting and i didnt get to that. I did look, i did figure it out, but it doesnt say the Frequency is changing.. is it hopeless?

Yes, it's hopeless ;)

Maybe if you want to overclock it, just get a cheapo second hand board with some o/c options :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back