Outpost 2.7 and BSOD

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced recently any problems with the notorious Blue screen of death and any applications. I recently installed Outpost 2.7 pro and reived this error message on the blue screen. The BSOD has happened 3 times in the last 2 days when I click on a link. Last one occured when going into hotmail. I'll run the usuals to make sure there isn't any spyware, bugs..
" Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x71A5DF52, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0x71A5DF52 "
I'm running a P4/3.4ghz with the Asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard and 2GB of DDR2. ? I'v run a google search and I'm seeing some conflicts with both Asus motherboards and Outpost as well as XP SP2? Should I uninstall this or is there a work around.

do you get anything else with that stop error or is it just that??

edit: btw dont uninstall sp2, but you may want to uninstall outpost and find an alternative (sp2 built in is fine for 99% of the population)

a brief search of support.microsoft.com indicates its the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LOESS_OR_EQUAL" crash that used to plague nvidia drivers. I know outpost installs drivers to operate as a firewall so you could try stoppiong the windows firewall service and disabling it as a test in case its conflicting.

As a shot in the dark make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your devices (specifically nic and motherboard) See how life goes...

Exactly LordOfLA I did get the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LOESS_OR_EQUAL" with this as well. I'm also running a Geforce 6600/256 and running the Forceware 77.50 drivers. I'm sure there are more current versions at Guru3d. :) I've got Outpost uninstalled for now. I'll see what happens. thanks.

Just to report back on this issue. I haven't had any more problems with the BSOD since uninstalling Outpost 2.7.

Cool for you, I'd advise you to install Sygate Personal Firewall (free version), it is most effective and easy to handle (though you can set up advanced rules (limited to 10 with free version), and tweak ports and protocols also).
I don't like SP2's firewall, I can't handle it the way I'd like to.
Sygate is the best software firewall, and that's not just me saying this ;)
The non free version, which I use, is not very expensive and has a few more control options.

amazing outpost still havnt cured these BSOD probs..

I've tried all the firewalls and it seems I always come back to sygate Howling Wolf. I'm just dissapointed they don't keep up on their updates and features. I guess "if it ain't broke, why fix it" :)

napalmnthemorning said:
I've tried all the firewalls and it seems I always come back to sygate Howling Wolf. I'm just dissapointed they don't keep up on their updates and features. I guess "if it ain't broke, why fix it" :)

That's right, I'm running the latest beta pro version for a few months now (5.6.2818), Sygate was supposed to have the 5.6 pro final version available for over six months now and I have no idea why it is so much delayed... Anyway, the beta works just fine as well as the non beta 5.5.2710 pro.

I don't really remember the non pro version as I purchased the pro version almost right after I tried the free version, as I wanted the extra options.

Hi
Just FYI there is a new build of 2.7 out if you dont have it.
Give it a try and see if it helps.
There tech support is ace so if the new build dont work ask them :D

ZeroHour said:
Hi
Just FYI there is a new build of 2.7 out if you dont have it.
Give it a try and see if it helps.
There tech support is ace so if the new build dont work ask them :D

napalmnthemorning went back to Sygate, I don't think he will change again as Sygate is just perfect ;)

Nah I find outpost the dogs :D
Going to take a look at Sygate, how much it?

No one cares for ZoneAlarm? Free version is pretty sweet IMO

Considering Zonealarms track record for false positives and being very easy o break out off without the iser knowing I dont think anyone would care for zonealarm even if the issues have been fixed :p

ZeroHour said:
Nah I find outpost the dogs :D
Going to take a look at Sygate, how much it?

The free version is free ;)
The pro version is $39.95

kcnychief said:
No one cares for ZoneAlarm? Free version is pretty sweet IMO

No, I work for my own isp hotline and ZoneAlarm is the 1st reason for clients to encounter all of a sudden serious navigation issues -> when disabled or even better uninstalled, the navigation issues disappear...

Sygate has its own free version and is most effective ! The paid version has a few extra options for advanced users and no limits for advanced rules (only 10 for the free version). It is easy to control (double click on it and it shows you what softwares access the net, a simple right click to block/unblock them), on the contrary, ZoneAlarm is almost useless and hard to unblock softwares net access (menus, submenus, subsubmenus, extra windows and so on)...

kcnychief give Sygate Personal Firewall free version a try (http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm), you won't be disappointed.

LordOfLA said:
Considering Zonealarms track record for false positives and being very easy o break out off without the iser knowing I dont think anyone would care for zonealarm even if the issues have been fixed :p

I've used it several times and do on alot of computers. Never had problems.

kcnychief said:
I've used it several times and do on alot of computers. Never had problems.

Time to change then :p they must have fixed it :D

But seriously its probably the last software firewall you should consider for windows. Irrespective of current personal experiances be they positive or negative.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back