Outlook Mail

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
After using Outlook Express for a long time I find that Outlook Mail is somewhat confusing. After writing a new message is it possible to click Send and to bring up a default dial box to connect to the internet? Also when I have sent an e-mail it is in the outbox but the outbox still shows 0 in the folder list. Is it just confusing or am I missing something?

One of the main reasons I stayed with outlook express was that I could not figure out how to import my address book into Micro Outlook.
I think in Micro Outlook sent mail is kept in the 'sent folder'.

if you are using outlook I can't for the life of me figure out why you don't use msn explorere? other than the whole I WILL LOAD MSN messenger TO MEMORY OR DIE TRYING thing... its not a bad little app... :)

and yes I am being humorous.. its 5:30 am over here in florida... give us a break :)

good nite...

I can't say no to a coppa... was programming for class thursday... got carried away trying out new solutions... and then I started checking out all the posts...

I like this site.. it stimulates the mind... I think my iq has gone from 0.01 to 0.011 in the months I have visited here...

:D

mmmmmmmm seems to be a bit of a theme going on here. By the way it's 7.38pm down under. :D

Re: good nite...

Originally posted by sazar99
I can't say no to a coppa... was programming for class thursday... got carried away trying out new solutions... and then I started checking out all the posts...

I like this site.. it stimulates the mind... I think my iq has gone from 0.01 to 0.011 in the months I have visited here...

:D

That's at least twice now people have suggested you should go to bed :D Now be off with you before I arrest you for being tired in charge of a PC.

Are you trying to say you've been up since thursday or are you so tired you meant to say tuesday :eek:

One of the main reasons I stayed with outlook express was that I could not figure out how to import my address book into Micro Outlook.

Hi Hipster Doofus. Importing the Outlook Express Address Book is the easy part. Open Outlook-Click File-Select Import/Export-Internet Mail and Addresses-Outlook Express 4.x,5-Only tick import Address Book- select allow duplicates to be created. You will then find that they have been imported into Contact which is a much better form of address book. Best Wishes

Thanks for that. It had me stumped. I'll give it a go when I reinstall outlook. I used it for a few minutes & liked what I saw. :D

Your Welcome! Even if you don't use Outlook to send mail the Contacts Address book and Calander are worth using. Word will let you insert Address Details onto letters etc using the Contacts address book which is also quite useful.

Hipster Doofus, I've just realised you are in Melbourne. my Sister in Law lives there and is always telling me what a lovely city it is. I have been trying to get her into computing, so we can keep in touch better, but have not had much luck, except for a couple of e-mails a few months back, and a promise she would try to get help with learning the basics of computing. Best Wishes

One more question on MS Outlook. How do you save your accounts & contacts to a different folder? For backup purposes? :confused:

Capricorn I reckon your sister in law is sitting in front of the fire these past couple of weeks. :D

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
One more question on MS Outlook. How do you save your accounts & contacts to a different folder? For backup purposes? :confused:

Hipster, to export your contacts to a file for backup, do this:

File->Import/Export
Under "Choose action to perform", highlight "Export to a file". Click next.
Under "Create a file of type:", it is up to you, but I use "comma separated values (Windows)"
Click next
Under "Select folder to export from" click on "Contacts" (for this purpose. Of course you can back up any of the files there.)
Click next.
Give the new file a name, I.E. "contacts backup".
Click next.
Confirm actions by clicking "Finish".

I dont know of any way to backup your account details, probably not a 'safe' thing to do anyway. you could always type them up in word, and save them that way.

Hope this helps. :)

You could also change the location of outlook.pst.
That's the file where Outlook stores all your mail/contacts data.

First: close Outlook

Do a search for outlook.pst (with all the advanced options, because it's in a hidden system folder somewhere)
Then cut and paste the outlook.pst to a 'save' location (for example: D:\Mailbox). Start outlook again, you'll get an popup window saying that it cannot find the outlook.pst (duh!), just click OK and then a search window will popup, point it to the outlook.pst on the new location. And your done!

Note: Of course this only works if you have more than one partition.

Two points- If I use Outlook to connect to the Internet I find I lose my Auto Disconnect option, is there a way round this?

Second- I have been able to backup my contacts folder using the methods shown above, but clicking the backup only brings up a message saying it cannot be opened. Any help on this please.

It seems the easiest way to back up is just to keep your Outlook Express Address Book up to date and save it to floppy. It is then easy to import into Outlook as shown in the entry above. It seems a bit long winded, but it works. Pity Outlook didn't give the option to export contacts to Outlook Express!

Originally posted by Capricorn
Second- I have been able to backup my contacts folder using the methods shown above, but clicking the backup only brings up a message saying it cannot be opened. Any help on this please.
I think the backup is just that, a backup file which will not work on its own. When imported back into outlook it will then work.

does anybody know if it is possible to set up Outlook 2002 or Express for the one account to be accessible to any user of the computer. THanks

I'm not sure if this is the (right) answer to your question.

You can share outlook.pst between differend users. Just point them to the same outlook.pst. (see my post above for details)

note: this way you also share your calender :eek:

But...you still have to set up an (the same) mail account(s) for each user. Because outlook.pst does not store your mail account settings.

I know that in Outlook 2000 you can export/import your mail account settings under Tools --> Accounts --> Export/Import. If that's also possible with 2002, i don't know.

I tried something similar with Express, but that was not working very well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back