Outlook Mail message extension

N

noah472

Morning all, afternoon some and evening few,

Does anyone know what outlook saves e-mails as? I know that with Outlook express it uses .pbx files but what does outlook use? the reason i ask is i have had a major system crash and am running my old HD as a secondry to try and attempt a recovery of about three years of e-mails (plus the reason my machine has crashed is due to a hardware failure on my mobo and the recipt for it is on that H/D in outlook LOL)

I would assume that mail is probably saved in a similar way......
The messages havent been exprted and i am unable to do this as i cant access windows :(

any ideas??

:confused: :confused:

If i remember correctly (which sometimes isn't always the case) i think they are .msg files.

Hope that helps!

a single message uses a .eml extension as far as i know
Outlook express uses .dbx extension for an inbox not .pbx
(perhaps you're searching for the wrong thing?)

Sorry about that my brain was on other things, yes .dbx is what outlook express uses but not (unfortunetly :rolleyes: ) what outlook uses. I have done a search for .eml and nothing much comes up, the .msg pulls up the initial welcome e-mail but none of the others, i have several thousand e-mails so would expect a lot to come up. Do you/anyone know whether outlook saves them in a similar way to outlook express so i can just back up the inbox, sub folders etc??

Is there anything in the options/settings that at least gives you info on where the files are stored ?

Hey, whatdyaknow, yup indeedy, it saves them just as a pst file in the settings! Nice one!! At work at the mo. but just tried it on a standalone and seems to work so will have a fiddle (not literally lol) when i get home!!

I'll post back just to let you know!

Thanks

Noah472

Outlook stores all the data in a database with the extension .pst

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back