Outlook Express - which file to backup?

PTS

OSNN One Post Wonder
So one of my harddrives died, big-time. I'll have to use to DOS to retrieve an Outlook file to backup all my emails, etc. Question is, which one? Now, I've heard there are .dbx files or .pst files but I can't seem to find any of these when doing search on my broken drive or this drive I'm using now. I always use Outlook Express 6, can anybody help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Paul S.

You are correct in searching for the .dbx files, these are the folders that store all your emails. Which version of windows are you running? What did you search for?

maddmatt he need to use DOS so that option wont help. I dont use OE so I cant find the default storage location. Its somewhere in the user folder.

And ray_gillespie is corrent, its the dbx (all of them) that you need to backup (PST is for outlook not outlook express). However this will not save your address book, that one is a little more difficult to backup thru DOS.

EDIT: I found mine stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Admiral Michael\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Id imagine the dbx files are somewhere in C:\Documents and Settings\Admiral Michael\Application Data\Microsoft

**where Admiral Michael is my username.

Last edited:
should be in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{2936F8A7-1834-4145-B848-56A4CDD5F324}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The big long number may be different on your machine

Well forgive me. But maybe it's just me.

Isn't the point of Windows security to not allow access to the user's Documents and Settings folder outside of Windows or without that user being signed on (or having Administrator credentials)?

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back