• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook Express - which file to backup?

PTS

OSNN One Post Wonder
So one of my harddrives died, big-time. I'll have to use to DOS to retrieve an Outlook file to backup all my emails, etc. Question is, which one? Now, I've heard there are .dbx files or .pst files but I can't seem to find any of these when doing search on my broken drive or this drive I'm using now. I always use Outlook Express 6, can anybody help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Paul S.

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
You are correct in searching for the .dbx files, these are the folders that store all your emails. Which version of windows are you running? What did you search for?

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
maddmatt he need to use DOS so that option wont help. I dont use OE so I cant find the default storage location. Its somewhere in the user folder.

And ray_gillespie is corrent, its the dbx (all of them) that you need to backup (PST is for outlook not outlook express). However this will not save your address book, that one is a little more difficult to backup thru DOS.

EDIT: I found mine stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Admiral Michael\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Id imagine the dbx files are somewhere in C:\Documents and Settings\Admiral Michael\Application Data\Microsoft

**where Admiral Michael is my username.

Last edited:

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
should be in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{2936F8A7-1834-4145-B848-56A4CDD5F324}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The big long number may be different on your machine

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Well forgive me. But maybe it's just me.

Isn't the point of Windows security to not allow access to the user's Documents and Settings folder outside of Windows or without that user being signed on (or having Administrator credentials)?

Good luck.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown