Outlook Express passwords

B

bling2

I know I've seen it somewhere, but I cant find it now!
How do I stop Outlook Express asking me for my password every time I log in for Emails (I've got the box ticked, it's in the reg somewhere)

Also, on my startup screen with our 4 accounts, it says I have unread emails. How do I stop it telling me this useless bit of info?

Both these things I had sorted, until a serious system crash and system restore lost me all of it, and I can't remember how to redo them.

open up regedit, then go to HKEY_CURRRENT USER\Software\Microsoft then look for "Protected Storage System Provider".
If you see that folder then delete it. this should stop OE asking for your password all the time.

To get rid of the un-read mail thing, just use the attached reg file

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
open up regedit, then go to HKEY_CURRRENT USER\Software\Microsoft then look for "Protected Storage System Provider".
If you see that folder then delete it. this should stop OE asking for your password all the time.

I can't delete this file, but now I've seen the name, it's reminded me. The fix is in "permissions/advanced" somewhere.

The other reg fix worked fine though, thanks.

See how this goes>

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password

This fix also applies to Outlook, other programs that store passwords in the Protected Storage System Provider sub branch of the Registry. It also corrects some issues with Internet Explorer and Autocomplete.

This is caused by a damaged Registry key. To Remove the broken Key in Windows® XP

1) Click Start, click Run, and then type regedt32 in the Open box.

2) Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

3) Right click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider key, and then Select Permissions.

4) In the Permissions for Protected Storage System Provider dialog box, click the Advanced tab. Make sure that the <Username> has Full Control access. Select "Replace permission entries..."

5) Click OK.

6) Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each subkey that is listed under the Protected Storage System Provider registry key; otherwise, you may receive the following error message when you try to delete the Protected Storage System Provider key:

Registry editor could not delete the key currently selected. The key or one of its
subkeys does not give you delete access.

Note: The sub keys under Protected Storage System Provide will look something like this:

S-1-5-21-1085031214-1202660629-1708537768-1003

7) At this point, you can delete the Protected Storage System Provider key by clicking Delete on the Edit menu. If you prefer, you can first export a copy of this key, and then delete the key. To export the key, right click the Protected Storage System Provider key, and select Export. The exported file can be re-imported by double clicking on it.

8) When you click Delete, you receive the following message:

Registry editor will delete the currently selected key and all its subkeys. Do you want to continue
the operation?

Click Yes to finish the process.

9) Start Outlook Express. When Outlook Express checks your mail account(s) you will be able to re-enter your password(s). This process repopulates the Protected Storage System Provider registry key with the correct information for that computer's SID.

Microsoft

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back