Outlook Express Links

D

Dick

Using Outlook Express 6 with Opera 6.05 browser and Windows XP Home SP1.

I am unable to link to URL's contained in Outlook Express email. I formerly used Netscape 4.79. It always linked just fine - even with the Opera browser. I need help to determine what's wrong & how to fix it.

To explain further; I get email notification from forums (including this one) advising that there are posts waiting for me. Within the email there is a highlighted link that says "Click here to go to the message"! When I click on it nothing happens.

I've looked through Outlook as well as Opera preferences and fail to see anything wrong.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Hi Dick,

If you are using@hotmail, I think this is some sort of bug with links in e-mails from NTFS................

You could try this...

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work, but for some people the last one...strange i know but give it a try

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

Hope this helps you

Alan

Hipster & Alan, Thanks for the replies.

Hipster, other than installing SP1 and video editing software, I don't recall changing anything else other than replacing Netscape with Outlook Express.

Repair/reinstall: Shooting myself in the foot would be less painful. My XP was bundled with an HP PC. They don't give you the windows cd, but something they think is better. It removes (formats I guess) everything in your computer & reinstalls only what was originally bundled with it. With my system, this is a huge job to reinstall everything else. I'd go back to Netscape rather than face that thought.

While browsing the MS Repair link you sent (which opens in Opera browser ok) I saw the following link regarding attachments.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329570

Haven't read it yet but could be some thing in there.

Alan, I use Wide Open West cable so your ideas about Hotmail may not apply. Also, all links from any forum don't open - not just NTFS.

Best regards guys, Dick

Try what Alan suggested anyway. It solves the problem in most cases and you can't do any harm with it.

Hi Dick,

Is it just links from forums that dont open?

and did you run the .dll commands and get the message stating the command was successful?

I know some one on another forum run these commands a few times, think it was 6 or 7 he said, and all of a sudden the links started to work :confused:

This is a know issue in Outlook and I.E. [not to sure of Oprea]

Alan

Do you use a popup stopper. This can also cause your problem

Alan & Yoyo,

Yes, it's only links from (any & all) forums that will not open. All links on web sites open in the Opera browser just fine.

I'll try to run the dll commands you suggested? Six or seven times???? I wish "Microscrap" would get their act together and finish product development on their time not ours.

Best regards, Dick

Sweens, Thanks for the reply.

I use a popup stopper that lives within my Opera browser but it's usually off. Besides, I tested it. On or off - makes no difference.

Dick

Originally posted by Dick
Alan & Yoyo,

Yes, it's only links from (any & all) forums that will not open. All links on web sites open in the Opera browser just fine.

I'll try to run the dll commands you suggested? Six or seven times???? I wish "Microscrap" would get their act together and finish product development on their time not ours.

Best regards, Dick

Hi Dick,

I don't think this is a M$/Xp issue...........It could be your e-mail client.................I seem to remember some other post about this........and the only work around was to copy and paste the url into the address bar........not what you wanted to here I'm sure.

Alan

Alan,

I tried the .dll thing (six times) but it didn't work.

Your second suggestion about copy/paste however does work. It's a pain in the mouse but it works.

Opera has a reputation for a having a lot of email client issues, but the benefits & features it provides far outweigh the negatives. Do you recall what the topic was where you saw reference to the email client? I'll try a search but without knowing the topic, it's like "looking for a needle in a haystack".

Is there any chance this might be a firewall issue? I use Zonealarm but Outlook Express is free to do it's thing.

Thanks again for all the help. Dick

Hi Dick,

To be honest I can't remember the exact thread it was about 6 months ago...........it was about someone with the same issue as yourself but his/her e-mail client was @hotmail.

I have just done a quick search of the forums and couldn't find it

If i remember right i dont think the issue was resolved :(

Alan

OK & thanks again for being there to help Alan.

Best regards, Dick

Alan,

For those who may be following this thread, I'm pleased to report that a solution to the problem has been found.

In doing further research on the subject, I came across the following Microsoft bulletin which addresses this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/0/54.asp

When I recently changed email programs from Netscape to Outlook Express, the association of the url files wasn't changed. If you follow Uncle Bill's directions in the above article, he'll have you using Internet Explorer as your browser. However, by re-associating these three files (as instructed in the bulletin) to open into my Opera browser, the links open just fine.

Best regards, Dick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back