Outlook Express gone mad!

E

Eve

HELP! Outlook Express has gone insane, yesterday I was in the process of checking my mail when the computer froze in the middle of receiving messages. I restarted my computer and ever since I cannot open OE. It shows the splash screen and then nothing. I have tried doing a system restore back to over a week ago and still nothing. I went to CP to try and do a repair, but it's not listed. I did a search for windows installer packages but there is none. Is it possible to repair this at all or is it screwed beyond belief. BTW, this is my work computer and I need mail to get price increase warnings so please HELP! :eek:

Damn it, damn it, DAMN IT! Thanks guys for your help, I tried it but still no change. :mad: Does this mean I'll have to do a "repair previous installation" of windows itself? Please god no, I have nothing to do and was intending on sitting back reading a book and waiting for the phone to ring, please say it ain't so! :eek:

Ok, have temporarily changed to Microsoft Outlook, but I hate it, It's really ugly and kinda crappy cause I can't switch identities and I have a separate e-mail address for personal mail, in case my boss sees it, but now it's putting everything in together. Is there any other way to fix OE or do I have to repair windows? Anyone!

Originally posted by Eve
Ok, have temporarily changed to Microsoft Outlook, but I hate it, It's really ugly and kinda crappy cause I can't switch identities and I have a separate e-mail address for personal mail, in case my boss sees it, but now it's putting everything in together. Is there any other way to fix OE or do I have to repair windows? Anyone!

just so u know, if the email goes through their servers at all, or through their network, your boss can see what you are doing. so dont think what you are doing on your email is EVER private...

Brad

It is when your boss doesn't even know how to turn on the computer, let alone log in :) he has no idea of the passwords. And their is no server or network, this is a tiny office and mine is the only computer.

In that case I suggest that you make off with all the cash and meet me at the airport!!

:D

you can have multiple addresses in outlook and either set it to filter mail from diffferent accounts into different folders (for example all mail from your personal account to folder "deleted") or can set the account to only download mail when you specifcally select it (ie doesn't recieve personal mail from send/receive all)

Thanks Khayman, still though does anyone know if I'll have to repair windows?

ok, here's the latest update:

I checked out system information just to see if I could find any problems there and this is what I found under Internet Settings-Internet Explorer-File Versions: there is a long list of dll files with all their details under the headings of, file, version, size, date, path, company. 2 dll files:iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll have "file missing" or "not available" under each of the headings. And 1 file called ieuinit.inf has "not available" under version and company even though all the other headings are fine. Also msencode.dll has "not available" under company and everything else is ok. Is this my problem? Any help really appreciated. TIA

I have the same listings

have you tried doing a sfc /scannow ?

Damn it, s'not fair. I've even uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still won't work! Hate stupid Microsoft Outlook, want Outlook Express back!

Ok, hissy fit over now *still sulking though*:(

System file checker

check to see if any system files are corrupt. might help

run cmd first then sfc /scannow

also. have you checked your event logs after trying to start OE

FYI - OE is a POS and Outlook is much better :D

yes, tried that earlier now that I figured out what it is. Told me to put in installation disc so it could copy files I did, but it still kept telling me it couldn't find them, so I cancelled it and gave up.

BTW: No it's not, MSO is the POS :)

at least Outlook works :)

looks like your going to have to do a repair install of XP, you shouldn't lose anything

S**T, I hate having to do that, bloody computer is soooooo slow. Will wait til monday to do it, probably won't be finished my 5.30pm if I start now. Stupid 64mb, I wanna new computer, wish I had my b/f's is great, except it's a dell. Hate them cause they keep sending you faxes and crap through the post even though I've repeatedly told them not to, and when you complain they blame someone else! aggghhhh!

Sorry, but you seem to have tried everything else, repairing, reinstalling, sfc, eventlogs etc.
remember to backup your emails, just incase

unless anyone else has anyother ideas...?

e-mails are gone I think, cause I uninstalled and reinstalled out and it said cleaning up or something like that when I restarted after uninstalling it. Oh well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back