Outlook Contacts

greggustin

OSNN Addict
Finally started using this for more than just email address
I did an import from my Palm Trea750 Address Book (auto stored as contact)
the import was via windows autosync
now I have many duplicates - and I cannot find an EASY way to merge them!
the original ones on my computer had just email address
the new ones from phone have mostly phone numbers
bioth under same name (or maybe small variant eg bob jones or robert jones)
I tried to export into a excel file or even tab file
and my outlook 2003 would not let me! it asked to install - and i DO have the original office 2003 CD that it asks for , but then it says xxxx.CAB not found !
i do no want to have to hand manage all my contacts
this is why I have been using exel as my contact manager since forever!!!!!!!!
heeeeeeeelllllllpppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!

It seems you are missing some files from Outlook that allows it export properly - what's the name of the .cab file it requires? Perhaps it is just looking in the wrong place for this. Either search for this file yourself or find out where it is supposed to be and then point the installer to that precise location. If you can't find it, let us know what it's called and perhaps someone will be able to help you further.

Good luck!

For as long as I can remember I have also been managing contacts with Excel or a similar program. That is because from all I have been able to find there is no program to to what you are looking for. At least not from Windows Mobile to Windows Products, I could be wrong though. Thought Outlook should be able to handle it, might be something wrong with your Outlook.

I dont know off by heart but I know there are and should be many ways to do with Gmail and other email services. Sorry. Someone else might be of more help.

It seems you are missing some files from Outlook that allows it export properly - what's the name of the .cab file it requires? Perhaps it is just looking in the wrong place for this. Either search for this file yourself or find out where it is supposed to be and then point the installer to that precise location. If you can't find it, let us know what it's called and perhaps someone will be able to help you further.

Good luck!

the 'missing file' is L4561412.CAB
it (the error box) tells me to load in the original office professional 2003 CD
(which I do ) still no luck
(ie it cannot find it - I even point to each sub folder on the CD) :(

For as long as I can remember I have also been managing contacts with Excel or a similar program. That is because from all I have been able to find there is no program to to what you are looking for. At least not from Windows Mobile to Windows Products, I could be wrong though. Thought Outlook should be able to handle it, might be something wrong with your Outlook.

the reason I started using Contact - was only because of the auto sync program with my cell phone

at this rate - better off just editing them all by hand
arghhhhhhhh!!
one would think that after 20 years MS would fix Outlook

How many contacts do you have? I would of started manually editing the contacts in the first place. Though I only have like 20 max contacts.

simply a bad disc?

doubt it
it is brand new - used only once to install 3 years ago
been in box ever since

-edit-

How many contacts do you have? I would of started manually editing the contacts in the first place. Though I only have like 20 max contacts.
maybe 100 or so - with about 30 duplicates
maybe even 200
but the nice part - is that the cell phone will auto dial any number in the contact file - it will NOT auto dial from the excel file :(

-edit 2-

hmmm . . there is a different missing cab file
depending on what I am trying to install
(ie all version of contact export )
to excel (p2561407.cab) or to tab or to comma delimited

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, unless someone else can come up with something I think you should get started with those duplicates :)

I am guessing there is away to fix that, or make it work, just I dont know it and cant find it.

hey - solution??
I just explored the CD
found the missing files as zip's
can I just unzip them on my HD and try it from there?

I would reference the link above - if the files are on your CD, which they seem to be, copy the whole CD locally (be sure to view hidden files) and point to that.

I tried top copy the file to my local HD
but still no luck
I tried to fix the association - but could not deduce what to use as the 'opener'
right now it is assigned to winzip

hmmm - can anyone email me the 'cab' file?
or will winzip steal it again?
perhaps I can change the extension name before i save it to my HD

waho!!!!!!!!!!
got it to work!!!
instead of just copying over the single missing file
I copied the WHOLE CD
then pointed to it in the add section under missing feature

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Winzip is no good in opinon, try 7zip, though for what we are doing it wont help.

New Outlook export issue

well - after getting it (exporting) to work
thanks to great help from this Forum!

I DO understand the 'mapping fields' option
and it works great EXCEPT!!!!
at the end of each email field it appends SMTP and the string the comes from
the "display as" field from the Outlook Contacts page

result of the mapping is

name_at_mycompany.comSMTP FRIENDLY_NICK_NAME

ideas??

moved the post back into this thread.. while a new issue, still related as an offshoot to this one :)

found the solution
thought I'd share it
in the mapping fields option
I was transferring
+Email from Outlook Contacts over to Excel as Email field
well, on a hunch
I clicked on the "+" sign
and it expanded into three fields
ie "email_address", "email_type", and "display_name_as"
so, I just kept it expanded and then mapped them over as separate fields
and it then made separate fields in Excel (vs in filed with concatenated data)

again - MUCH thanks to all !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back