Out Look Express

M

Mounty2001

When I was using Win 98 SE, I exported my contact list from
Out Look Express. It exported as a .pst file extention. Now that I upgraded to XP Pro, the same Out Look Express will not/can not reccognize this file extention. I even tried to import it back into my 98 machine without any success, same error, it can't read the file format. I can't even open it up via Word/Note Pad. I'm stumpted being that it's the same program that exported, but can't import. Any suggestions?

I have a suggestion, but I dont recommend keeping it this way.

Update your 98se comp to IE6 and Outlook Express 6 and try exporting it then.

If I were you, I'd make a backup of your hard drive and revert back to it ASAP after you transfer the data, cuz the Win98 version of IE6 will self-destruct and it's next to impossible to uninstall and fix.

wow, if you had .pst files in your Win98 you must have a VERY old version of Outlook Express (it's Outlook btw, not Out Look hehe). Like he said, the db files didn't have the same format back then, you were probably using version 4. If you want to be able to restore those messages, you'll have to upgrade your old machine like he said. Simply go to www.microsoft.com/download and get the IE 6 update which comes with OE 6. You will be able to export everything then.

I suggest that you do a little search on Microsoft's Knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?LN=EN-US about backuping emails in Outlook Express. You might find more details there.

Originally posted by Outback2k1
If I were you, I'd make a backup of your hard drive and revert back to it ASAP after you transfer the data, cuz the Win98 version of IE6 will self-destruct and it's next to impossible to uninstall and fix.

That isn't true at all. It's not because you had problems with it that it's the same for everyone. That's a myth. We have over 20 PC's at work that all have IE6 and OE6 and they have less problems that the other stations that had IE/OE 5. That's not relevant at all. The Win98 you experienced probs with was probably messed up in the first place before you installed IE6...

And IE / OE is not impossible at all to fix, you only need to know how it works, and what are the tools you need to do it. There are thousands of KB articles about those programs for all the known issues. Nothing is unfixable.

You don't have to do that, the backup thing I mean. Even though, without considering IE or any MS product, it's always good to backup a PC when you can just in case something happens.

----------------
The post was reported to have some bad language in so I just changed that, changed nothing else as this is an interesting discussion - just keeping it kid friendly - Thats also why I removed that pic of myself :p
Punk
----------------

Thanks for the input. If all else fails I'll just re-insert all the contacts. I don't have that many in the first place, about 25-40. I was just looking for a short cut and less hassel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back