Our Favorite Tweaks

Thanks to Perris for this one.

I have had this bugger of a problem for the past week were the quick launch was taking ages to load and the notification area was showing only 3 out of 9 or so icons.

I was reading here about (after trying 4 hours of other things) changing the icon cache value, then it clicked so i edited registry and found this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"IconUnderline"=hex(0):03,00,00,00
"Max Cached Icons"="2000" <--this was missing (arggggh) no wonder.

So I added a value/string:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"IconUnderline"=hex(0):03,00,00,00
"Max Cached Icons"="2000"<---added this line

and booted and I have a faster booting machine and it loads up as normal.

Thanks again you made me think what the problem was.

have a great new one penguin came up with on his sight here;

http://www.windows-hints.net/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=4&st=0#entry1001

how ot put safe mode into start up menue;

Make a backup of the current boot.ini file.
Note: The boot.ini file shown below is for illustration purposes only. Your actual boot.ini may vary from this example.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Using Notepad, edit the original boot.ini (shown above) so it appears as shown below.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe" /fastdetect

The line shown above in red is the line you add. I used the word "Safe" but this can be any word you choose.

Close Notepad and save changes when prompted.

Start the System Configuration Utility by clicking [Start] [Run] and typing msconfig, then click [OK].
Click the BOOT.INI tab.
Highlight the boot line that you added with the word "Safe" or whatever word you chose to add above.
Check the /SAFEBOOT option in the Boot Options box and use the radio buttons to add whatever options you prefer. I'd suggest the MINIMAL option.
Click [Apply] and [OK] and Restart when prompted.

The option to boot into safe mode will now appear on the boot loader menu

Ever notice the "My eBooks" folder that is generated in your "My Documents" folder?

It is caused by a plugin in Adobe Reader, this script will disable/enable it.

Code:
$path = RegRead ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\InstallPath", "" )

If FileExists ( $path & "\plug_ins\eBook.api" ) Then
	FileMove ( $path & "\plug_ins\eBook.api", $path & "\optional", 1 )
	MsgBox ( 0, "Adobe Reader 6.0", "eBook.api plugin disabled", 5 )
Else
	FileMove ( $path & "\optional\eBook.api", $path & "\plug_ins", 1 )
	MsgBox ( 0, "Adobe Reader 6.0", "eBook.api plugin enabled", 5 )
EndIf

Exit

Attachments

• Adobe Reader 6.0 - eBook Plugin Remover.zip
    83.3 KB · Views: 174
Hey perris:
Can you give a screenshot of this..I would like to know if I'm thinking this is what I'm looking for.........thanks.

perris said:
how ot put safe mode into start up menue;

Make a backup of the current boot.ini file.
Note: The boot.ini file shown below is for illustration purposes only. Your actual boot.ini may vary from this example.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

Using Notepad, edit the original boot.ini (shown above) so it appears as shown below.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe" /fastdetect

The line shown above in red is the line you add. I used the word "Safe" but this can be any word you choose.

Close Notepad and save changes when prompted.

Start the System Configuration Utility by clicking [Start] [Run] and typing msconfig, then click [OK].
Click the BOOT.INI tab.
Highlight the boot line that you added with the word "Safe" or whatever word you chose to add above.
Check the /SAFEBOOT option in the Boot Options box and use the radio buttons to add whatever options you prefer. I'd suggest the MINIMAL option.
Click [Apply] and [OK] and Restart when prompted.

The option to boot into safe mode will now appear on the boot loader menu

Just add to the end of the line you added:

The switch: /safeboot:minimal

The final boot.ini would look like:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

don't know if this one made it into this particular tweak thread, but it's worth mentioning again;

the easiest method to organize your favorites is to pste "favorites" into run, and do it directly from the folder

chaos945 said:
Handy universal tweak tool. (batch script)

[Windows XP Universal Tweaker v0.2 by The NGO Group - by REGENERATION
Download Now

Chaos945, that tool is horrible.

It applies all those tweaks that are known to be invalid or dangerous.

Would not in any way trust a program that still applies the IOPageLockLimit or NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation "tweaks".

The code to read and act on the IoPageLockLimit value was removed since sp1 of windows 2000. It's history.

if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt anything...but any program that add's the value will tell informed users that the author of the program doesn't know anything about the os, and the program is then discarded from being recomended...the OS no longer has any idea that it's there chaos

even when it was looked at, IoPageLockLimit didn't affect performance...it's a quota on how much IO involving locked pages the OS can perform at one time.

back when it was looked at, this would only benefit apps that were doing as much direct IO in a sequence as they could without having to wait for anything else...

very few apps act like that, and you would toss them if they did.

the os no longer knows that registry value's name, so there's no way it can read it.

there might be a possibility the os would synthesize the string from smaller pieces, but do a pass with RegMon from sysinternals.com and you will confirm nothing looks at that value in 2K SP1 or later.

Do you think your History is really being deleted?

Boot into "safe mode command prompt" using F8
Go to Root (C:\) by typing CD\
Now type C:\ del index.dat /s (<<spaces required) tick enter
The Deleted Files will appear, then just exit for the finale now there really gone.
frogg_mann :cool:

frogg_mann said:
Boot into "safe mode command prompt" using F8
Go to Root (C:\) by typing CD\
Now type C:\ del index.dat /s (<<spaces required) tick enter
The Deleted Files will appear, then just exit for the finale now there really gone.
frogg_mann :cool:

hi frog mann

the easies way to remove the index.dat file is do it from another user profile.

want to see the last time a web page was modified pste this into the address bar;

javascript:alert(document.lastModified)

chaos945 said:
Ever notice the "My eBooks" folder that is generated in your "My Documents" folder?

It is caused by a plugin in Adobe Reader, this script will disable/enable it.

Code:
$path = RegRead ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\InstallPath", "" )

If FileExists ( $path & "\plug_ins\eBook.api" ) Then
	FileMove ( $path & "\plug_ins\eBook.api", $path & "\optional", 1 )
	MsgBox ( 0, "Adobe Reader 6.0", "eBook.api plugin disabled", 5 )
Else
	FileMove ( $path & "\optional\eBook.api", $path & "\plug_ins", 1 )
	MsgBox ( 0, "Adobe Reader 6.0", "eBook.api plugin enabled", 5 )
EndIf

Exit

Or you could just move the plugin out of the plugins folder :p

Revised Winamp shell tweaks.

• includes "automated.cmd", place in startup folder if you want these settings to say put
  • renames "Enqueue in Winamp" to "Add to playlist"
  • removes redundant "Open" on files associated with Winamp
  • bludgeons "Add to Winamp's Bookmarks" (I wish it a painful death)

**outdated link removed, this file is now part of 'My Scripts & Regs'**
Download Part 1
Download Part 2

Last edited:
I haven't mentioned this since the original board...the recycle bin is set to default at 10% of the disc...that's too much for most people's drives today, and most of us empty the trash pretty often.

I think about 3% should be good for most...use your own judgement

right click teh trash, go to properties, go to global, do your stuff

wow...just about every tweak is known, and all over the internet...hard to find something that I can pass along.

anyway, I used to use a program that recognizes internet, and launches whatever programs I set in the gui.

problem is,the program always runs, and it kills the apps on shutdown without giving the app a chance to close naturally...this is no good.

so, I created a batch file with all the programs I luanch when I'm going on line.

I set the batch up with my home page, so I click the batch instead of internet explorer the first time I go on line...it works very nice.

following is the batch...the b is a break...netryder figured out the browsers doen't seem to work with a break, I don't think firefox works with the break either, so the browser should be last.

just cut and paste my batch into notepad...replace my executeables with the ones you want running.

save it as "internet.bat"

or anything you want as long as it says .bat at the end.

bing...this is sweet

Code:
@echo off
start "cookie wall" "C:\Program Files\AnalogX\CookieWall\cookie.exe" /B

start "star downloader" "C:\Program Files\Star Downloader\stardown.exe" /B

start "clip trak" "C:\Program Files\ClipTrak\ClipTrak.exe" /B

start "ad watch" "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe" /B

start "internet explorer" "http://www.osnn.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew

Hi Perris, the /B switch has to go after "Start".

The syntax is
Start [parameters of the "start" command like /B /MIN etc] program or command [parameters of the program]

example
start /b "" "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /nohome

/b is a switch of START, /nohome is a switch of Internet Explorer.

thanx yoyo...now I can launch my browser in teh sequence I want

that's for the browser, or all the executeables?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back