OSX on PC

pSxMoD

OSNN Junior Addict
No, I don't think Mac OSX will ever be able to run on the PC. The Mac hardware and PC hardware are different, as are the processors. There are programs that you can download to emulate a Macintosh. Just google around for some of them.

penguin

g0t r00t?
You can get Darwin for PC which is the "guts" of OS X. But OS X as it is on the Mac will not happen.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
It might become possible through emulation in the distant future, but OS X will probably be obsolete by then. It would be somewhat like the 68k Mac situation today. BasiliskII and some other emulators can be used to emulate 68k Mac hardware to run upto Mac OS 8.1 on a PC, but nothing later than that. PowerPC emulation hasn't come yet, and probably won't come for a while.

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
i love OSX. sigh. i have gotten as far as editing some dll files and such and gotten a really close look alike, but thats it.

Zedric

NTFS Guru
The hardware being different isn't really a problem technically, but is probably the big reason. If Apple were to sell OSX to PC, who would want to buy a Mac? Sure some hardcore fans would, but the ones that aren't in it for the brand would probably rather buy three PCs instead of one Mac for the same price....

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Well if I didn't say it, someone else would.
If you want OS X, buy a mac, I did, and I haven't looked back since.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I wouldn't go so far as to say it'll NEVER happen. Like I said earlier, give it a few years...many years rather, at which time OS X will be considered a piece of obsolete junk. That's when you'll probably see an emulator come by. If the 68k Macs could be emulated, I don't see why PowerPCs never will be. It just takes time, and a lot of it. ;)

SPeedY_B

Emulation isn't official, therefore Mac OS X on an Intel based PC will never happen :)

Just as Windows on the Macintosh will never happen, I have Windows XP on here running via VirtualPC 6, but it's not actually on my Mac so to speak.

SPeedY_B

To me, "on" means to actually boot the OS from a powered down state, and also using full system resources rather than shared with a parent operating system :)

which is why OS X will never be "on" Intel Based PCs :)

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
If they kept going we must be up to 886 I suppose as the original pentium was nicknamed 586. I still remember my first pc a 386dx 32Mhz with 1MB of ram and a 40MB HDD!! It even had a special button to reduce the speed to 16Mhz for apps which couldn't handle the fast speed!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ganster