OSNN Firefox Search Plugin

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Every Firefox user has probably seen the search box to the right of the location box. The default installation of Firefox includes some useful pre-installed search engines including Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay etc. The search box is probably the quickest way to search for something. Hit Ctrl+K, type in your search query, hit enter and you get your results.

But we were missing one little detail - there was no search plugin for OSNN. So I thought I'd create one (since Ctrl+K is incredibly handy) and share it with the rest of you.

osnnfox_preview.png

Hope you find it useful.
smile.gif

Install: Firefox OSNN Search Plugin

NOTE: The plugin should work with Mozilla and Netscape as well

Superb, will add this in a minute. Just for reference, because we're awkward, CTRL+K is Command+K on the Mac version :D

SPeedY_B said:
Seems you can add engines via clickable links, a-la here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html#central-engines

Perhaps putting a page up with a link would be easier for people to use/add?
Yeah, I looked into that. It basically leads to the Mycroft project page, and when I tried to look for a submission form, I found this:
When you are done, zip all the files and send them to mycroft at iseli dot org with the plugin name in the subject. It may take a little while (according to the amount of submitted plugins, this could be several weeks) for us to get back to you so please have patience. We are planning to create an upload tool so submitting will hopefully become easier some day.
Didn't really want to wait for a few weeks.
tongue.gif

I will submit it so that it appears eventually though.

Aah, thought it would be a simple case of yoinking some Javascript to make it work (Like I did with the old sidebars :p)

This is great NetRyder, can I use this for other vBulletin forums?

NetRyder said:
Every Firefox user has probably seen the search box to the right of the location box. The default installation of Firefox includes some useful pre-installed search engines including Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay etc. The search box is probably the quickest way to search for something. Hit Ctrl+K, type in your search query, hit enter and you get your results.

But we were missing one little detail - there was no search plugin for OSNN. So I thought I'd create one (since Ctrl+K is incredibly handy) and share it with the rest of you.

osnnfox_preview.png

Hope you find it useful.
smile.gif

Install: Firefox OSNN Search Plugin

NOTE: The plugin should work with Mozilla and Netscape as well
that's gorgeous...nice work

Thanks everyone. Glad you all found it handy.
smile.gif

a1ehouse said:
This is great NetRyder, can I use this for other vBulletin forums?
This one is specific to OSNN, but it could easily be modified for other vB forums. I'll need the URL and a favicon (preferably in JPG, GIF or PNG format). You can PM me the details if you like.

And a small addition:
Bookmarks -> Rightclick 'Quick Searches' -> Manage Folder
Add a new bookmark:
Code:
Name => 'OSNN Quick Search'
Location => 'http://www.osnn.net/forum/search.php?do=process&sourceid=Mozilla-search&query=%s'
Keyword => 'osnn'
Hit OK.
Now, when you type 'osnn <searchterm>' in the address bar, the <searchterm> is being searched for, like the special toolbar does :D Personally I prefer this method, instead of using the search toolbar. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back