What host should we use?

• ESPN

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • FleaFlicker

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i dont really have time time at the moment to be honest, real life is over taking many things - why i havent been posting on the front page

Well if you can and want to join in we would luv to stomp... errr, have you play a team. Sorry, a slight slip of the tongue. :rolleyes:

I expanded the league size to allow for two more teams and broke it up into 3 divisions..

If we get two more teams to join in, we'll be keeping the number of keepers at 3 to allow for the new teams to have some shot at higher-end talent. The two new teams will also have a mini-draft where they will be allowed to pick keepers before the draft. If we are unable to find two new teams, the keeper limit will be raised to 4 and the divisions will again be reduced to two division of 5 teams each.

If we are able to find 2 new teams, we'll switch over to 3 divisions with the winner of each division making the playoffs and 1 (possibly 2) wildcard teams.

As mentioned, picking a keeper will forfeit a draft pick (ie: choose to keep 1 player, lost your 1st draft pick, choose to keep 3 players - lose your first 3 draft picks). This is regardless of any draft pick trades that have or will occur.
* If you had traded your 1st round draft pick and kept 3 players, you would lose your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick for those 3 keepers and your first pick would not be until the 5th round.
* If you had picked up another players 1st round draft pick in a trade and kept 3 players, you would lose your 1st and 2nd round pick as well as the 1st round pick you traded for and your first pick would be in the 3rd round.
* These rules will apply for any new teams that join as well.

WOW... ok this seems a little wierd... I say this because then the joining teams have MASSIVE dibs on the first three rounds, All TIER1 players would most likely be kept meaning that the newer teams would have a difinate unfair advantage for next years rookies...

Just my $.02...

A Keeper league is setup as a keeper for the reason of making you decide which player(s) to keep, not which ones you should drop to allow for the earlier pick...

Unless someone can show me other wise... I cant say I like this idea...

I am biased of course because this change automatically takes away my first round pick... :(

Mike A!

WOW... ok this seems a little wierd... I say this because then the joining teams have MASSIVE dibs on the first three rounds, All TIER1 players would most likely be kept meaning that the newer teams would have a difinate unfair advantage for next years rookies...

umm.. not sure it gives a huge advantage.. As I said, the skipping of draft picks would apply to new teams as well. Meaning, if they pick up players to keep, they lose their draft picks as well.

It would (hopefully) be assumed that their pick ups in the "pre-draft" would be to select keepers from last season. Rookies would be off limits as a rookie this year obviously couldn't be set as a keeper from last year's rosters.

edit:
My real ideal would be that you lose the draft pick that the "kept" player was drafted in..

For example:
I have 3 keepers set: Addai, Ronnie Brown, and Romo
Addai was drafted in the 1st round, Brown was drafted in the 3rd round, and Romo was drafted in the 5th round.. so in the next draft if I still keep those players, I would give up my 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks to keep them.

There are some issues with this (with possible solutions):
1 - It's a lot of work for me to track down which round all the keepers were drafted in (I'm lazy. :p but I suppose I can overcome this and track it down and manually edit the draft orders as needed)

2 - We would need to figure out how it works if, through trades, you had multiple players in the same round that were marked as keepers (my vote would be that the owner would lose that round plus the next round draft pick - ie: someone had two players drafted in the first round marked as keepers, they lose their 1st and 2nd round pick. If they had a 2nd round pick marked as a keeper also, they would lose their 1st,2nd, and 3rd round pick).

3 - Same problem above if someone had traded draft picks.. with the same solution of losing the next round pick - ie: someone traded away their first round pick but marked a player that was drafted in the first round as a keeper. That owner would then lose their 2nd round pick. The owner that obtained the 1st round pick in the trade would retain the pick.

4 - This would make things a little trickier if we have new teams since their keepers weren't drafted in the traditional sense - maybe just skip the predraft part all together?

edit2:
Just my $.02...
You've thrown around a lot of $.02 around this forum.. just imagine how rich you would be if you had saved all those cents :p

Last edited:
Fitz,
You are missing my point entirely... I DO understand what you mean... with one exception... We are in a keeper league with reverse drafts being the norm...
meaning that the draft order would have already been chosen...

Worst to first etc...

Worst team... ala ME.. gets SKAREWED because I automatically lose the first round pick no matter what I do... See what I mean?

If we do this, I think everyone in the league should have all their keepers decided WELL before the draft, insert the new number of teams into the middle of the pack as far as the draft is concerned, and have the teams which played all of last year "assign" the keepers to the new teams based on league agreement, if someone joins and does not like them, then it is up to them to choose alternates, or at the very least perhaps drop a player for a move up in the draft order, not neccessarily get more 1st round picks...

Somehow I hope this makes more sense of where I am coming from...

Mike A!

No.. I do (mostly) understand.. and in some ways, I agree.

I agree that keepers need to be decided well before the draft and the rosters will be cleared (other than keepers) well before the draft.. I *think* that it will also be allowed to drop a keeper to pick that draft pick up again anytime before the draft.

I don't think you would lose your first round pick no matter what you do if we went by the system I put out in my last post (losing the draft pick of the keeper). It isn't perfect, but I think it's better than straight out losing your first 3 or 4 picks..

In your case, if you kept Larry Johnson you would lose your first pick. The question is, with whoever is out there in the draft pool, Would you pick anyone else with your first pick? Answer: maybe.
But at that point, you could see what other teams had as their keepers and get a fair idea of who will be available and decide not to keep Larry Johnson and regain your first round pick and still keep your other keepers.

Or maybe even a different take.. if we have 3 keepers and you keep one player, lose your 3rd round pick.. choose to keep 2 keepers, lose your 2nd and 3rd round picks.. just a different take that you lose picks in reverse order. In this sense, you would keep your 1st round pick.

Of course, we could just vote as a league that no draft picks will be lost (which will certainly be easier for me as I don't have to manually edit the draft orders). Nothing i set in stone yet :) Thus the reason for having this debate now.

As for the new teams.. I'm tempted to just have them not have keepers set at all and just draft a new team with what is available (maybe give them the first 2 picks of the draft - sorry Mike! but at least it's only 2 picks..)

I've written a lot of different ideas here, but to sum up my opinion (note: this is only my opinion!) -

If we expand:
* 3 keepers
* no one loses draft picks
* new teams draft 1 and 2 - followed by the reverse order of finish from last year
* (hey, expansion teams are supposed to struggle!)

If we do not expand
* 4 keepers
* lose the draft pick round that your keepers were chosen

I'll give advance notice on my sorry team. I won't be in the mix. I didn't have any worth the tag of "keeper"!

Bah I lose unless we choose the keepers for the other two teams and they dont drop one either way...

:(

We need to get all the leagues owners in here and vote... Fitz can you set up a poll please?

With the options you listed above...

Thanks!

Mike A!

Why don't we just draft anew, and drop the keepers. Obviously, this limits the new people and screws the old ones who didn't have enouh of a keeper list.

The only thing fair would be to add new members at random to the draft order, and do a reverse order draft, that way people like Mike(mlakrid) and Cat can justify the playing again.

I'm for it, if it means they will play.

Hey, I would go for that. Think about this, what if your keepers eat it this season? Start fresh with more players in the league and a new draft. You might get better picks... or worse. :p

We could just draft every year, to avoid this mess. That way we can be sure of new members having a decent shot at players also.
Can we not set up two leagues, one keeper league and one OSNN open? That would seem to be a better option for everybody, no?

well, draft order woudl still be based on finish from last year (other than the new teams).

The idea of losing draft picks is so that people that don't choose to keep any players get additional draft picks (usually higher up) which makes up for not choosing a keeper - thus, hopefully, keeping cat involved.

Mike is in a harder spot.. no denying that - but, as I mentioned, if he keeps Larry Johnson and loses his first pick, would he be picking anyone different?

As I also said, the system isn't perfect by any means and mlakrid does get a little hosed in the deal if he keeps any players. But, look at it this way, if everyone else keeps 3 players and loses their higher end draft picks and mlakrd and/or cat only keep one or two, they get first dibs and anyone remaining since we may be skipping our draft picks.. as it stands now, my 3 keepers mean I'm losing my 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks using my system (or my 1st 3 picks in the earlier system proposed).

All that being said, if we want to do a full redraft, we can do that too and I'm all for it. In the end, I just want to play with ya'll :)

edit:
We could just draft every year, to avoid this mess. That way we can be sure of new members having a decent shot at players also.
Can we not set up two leagues, one keeper league and one OSNN open? That would seem to be a better option for everybody, no?

started my previous message before falcon's post.

I don't mind running two leagues if we have enough interest to fill both leagues. If we do this, I'd probably suggest turning the keeper league into a "dynasty" league where you keep everyone and implement a contract and salary cap system.

If we have enough interest and solid/consistent players, we can set this up. But it requires commitment to play and be active year after year - some of the people that played in the osnn league weren't that active.

edit2: we can certainly move the current league into a full redraft league.. and if we can find committed players, I can start a dynasty league up..

Last edited:
If we re-draft we can do it the same way my other two leagues do... it is reverse draft with the tenured league players getting seniority... which means the new teams get added to the end

So lets say only 6 people stayed from last year... it would go from me being in last place... and follow the same progression to first (if they stayed) and then you would add the remaining teams on the end... so if we added 6 more to even it to 12 teams, then we would add the new 6 teams to the beggining...

Lets face it... someone always gets screwed if you are in a keeper league and people drop out... I just hate the idea of losing my first round spot because I kept someone...

Although, if we can get enough people to get a full boat of 12 teams it would be awesome...

I would choose a redraft over the 3 keepers and losing my frst round draft pick in all honesty...

If we have keepers and I believe we should, I think that the existing teams should not be penalized in the first few rounds solely because of having existing players... more to the point, I would like the players kept to have a weighted system... and I have NO idea of how we could do that... maybe base it off of what they players did in our FP scoring for the last year... so long as we keep it the same...

Then like any new expansion team the new teams automatically get the first of the first round picks followed by the reverse draft of the existing teams...

I know this was long winded; however, none of the first round atheletes I picked including LJ would be on my keepers...

Do we have a SOLID list of who all is playing this year???

REPLY TO EDIT2: I think it would be easier to start a new league based on redrafts versus redoing our dynasty... then the dynasty teams would be kept or turned over to someone who will play in both! Also I would NOT be keeping LJ... no way, no how...:D

Mike A!

Hey whichever way you guys finally hammer out, I'm with it. But as long as the Draft date is a Saturday around 11am to noonish Pacific time or a Sunday (same bat time). That's all I ask. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back