OSNN Anti-Virus Poll

What anti-virus scanner do you use?

• Total voters

Enyo

OSNN Veteran Addict
Fresh Forum, fresh poll.

Seeming as i have no related thread to link in as normal, vote away.

Are not Norton and Symantec the same antivirus programes??

Until/if the threads get merged...
Well here we go again :p

KAV all the way for me. Bought it following advice in the previous poll. It killed 3 virii
that NAV had missed. That was enough in itself, but it has a whole load of smart features up it's sleeves,
not to mention beetlecrusher shoes, a swatter, and bugspray in the back pocket... I digress.

Go buy it!!.

KAV for me also, didn't change my mind for 2 years now, I do feel safe with it :)

Elroy Jetson said:
can you do the same for the firewall poll, please? Can't find out how it is done, but should be the default with all polls!

Thanks, Henyman

just click the number of votes each selection has got ;) will take you to the page, am gona go make a thread on it so people know ;)

Erbmaster said:
Until/if the threads get merged...
Well here we go again :p

KAV all the way for me. Bought it following advice in the previous poll. It killed 3 virii
that NAV had missed. That was enough in itself, but it has a whole load of smart features up it's sleeves,
not to mention beetlecrusher shoes, a swatter, and bugspray in the back pocket... I digress.

Go buy it!!.

Just wait until you see version 5 :)

AVG Free 6.0.558. I use in both my school computer and home computer. I installed NAV2004 previously, but it was really, really slow. I just couldn't get it faster without shutting down critical services.

Certainly would be a big jump in resource usage between AVG and NAV 2004.

AVG uses around 2MB of ram and very little CPU time and NAV takes up about 30MB of RAM, but again is pretty soft on the CPU.

I found however that when i upgraded from NAV 2003 to 2004 the system performed allot better.

NOD32. Fast, stable and best virus detection on record with VB100% Award. ICSA certified. Not a resource hog either.

I am still running NAV 2003 (on a new subscription) after hearing about all the slow-downs here re: NAV 2004! I am going to be taking a serious look at AVG for the future!

BTW Enyo - that NAV 2004 thread had some good info in it - especially that link to another forum where they hashed the problems out - perhaps a rebirth of that thread - if you haven't already!

damnyank said:
BTW Enyo - that NAV 2004 thread had some good info in it - especially that link to another forum where they hashed the problems out - perhaps a rebirth of that thread - if you haven't already!

I wont re-create the thread just now as its all pretty much solved now and all the information is here

Agree - thanks for the link - that's the one I was looking for! :cool:

Thought it would be :) As i say i found the system was a little more smooth when i went from 2003 to 2004 so don't write it off based on the initial problems some users had.

Henyman said:
just click the number of votes each selection has got ;) will take you to the page, am gona go make a thread on it so people know ;)

nice one, thanks!

Enyo said:
AVG uses around 2MB of ram and very little CPU time and NAV takes up about 30MB of RAM, but again is pretty soft on the CPU.

2MB? How did you manage that? In all my testing, AVG always used the same amount of memory as Norton (around 20 Megs give or take). And this was on several different machines.

Vector said:
2MB? How did you manage that? In all my testing, AVG always used the same amount of memory as Norton (around 20 Megs give or take). And this was on several different machines.

WHAT? No way! AVG uses much less. The only two processes that run for AVG 6.X are avgcc32.exe and avgserv.exe. have a look at your system mem usage and shut down avg. compare before and after. It is much, much less than 20mb, around 2-4mb here!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back