Optical Mouse Not Detected

wessleym

OSNN Addict
A few days ago, my optical mouse stopped working with my computer. After several trials and errors, I've discovered that my computer only detects mice without a scroll wheel. If there is a scroll wheel, a cursor appears in the middle of the screen as it should, but I can't control it at all. It just sits there. I don't know how this happened because mice with scroll wheels used to work fine. By the way, I'm running Windows XP, and my mouse plugs into my PS/2 port. Thanks for your help!

Can you tell us what mouse and motherboard you have please? also what BIOS version if possible :)

Skazzy

It says my "BIOS Version/Date" is "American Megatrends Inc. 3.09, 5/20/2003." It says my " SMBIOS Version" is "2.3." My keyboard and mouse are both from Compaq. They came with the computer. My keyboard is like their bottom-of-the-line model, and my mouse is just an optical mouse with a scroll wheel. Both are silver and black. I hope this helped somebody.

And one more thing. I went to American Megatrends's web site, and after running their BIOS detection program thing, they said it was just a Compaq BIOS, and I should go to their site. So I went there, and I can't find anything for my computer.

if it's a newer compaq (sounds like it), then there probably aren't any bios updates for it yet.

i'm assuming you've tried other mice with scrollwheels?

it sounds like i have the same mouse and keyboard for my compaq fileserver. no problems with it so good luck. it should be fixable with a fresh format, if all else fails.

Actually, I already tried formatting my hard drive, and I reset all the settings in my BIOS. Where else could this type of information be stored?! I thought all computer data was either in the BIOS or the hard drive. Does anyone know of anything else I could try to erase or reset? Could it be a physical motherboard problem? And yeah, taurus, I have tried different mice. I think five, and none of the one's with wheels work. It's messed up stuff.

well, shucks... if the problem persists after a format, then it pretty much has to be hardware. and since it happens with multiple different mice, that narrows it down to your motherboard. my only guess at this point is it's not supplying enough power to your ps/2 port.

have you tried usb mice?

No, I haven't tried USB mice. I don't have any. I would think a USB mouse would work fine. Are there like PS/2 to USB adapters or something? Do you know how to crank up the power to my PS/2 port? Thanks.

A few days ago, my Compaq optical mouse that came with my Compaq computer stopped working. After several trials and errors, I've discovered that my computer only detects mice without a scroll wheel. If there is a scroll wheel, a cursor appears in the middle of the screen as it should, but I can't control it at all. It just sits there. I don't know how this happened because mice with scroll wheels used to work fine. My mouse plugs into my PS/2 port. I've tried formatting my hard drive and pressing the "Reset Defaults" button in my BIOS Setup, but neither helped. Is it possible that there is something physically wrong with my motherboard? Someone suggested that there might not be enough power being supplied to my PS/2 port. Here's some other information:

Operating System: Windows XP
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 3.09, 5/20/2003
SMBIOS Version: 2.3

Thanks for your help!

SPeedY_B, why the heck did you move my post? No one sees it in this part of the forum, and no one knows the answer. So how about moving it back.

There is no need for two threads with the same topic.

It was moved because you started more then one thread about the same topic.

Have you tried running the computer with mouse disconnected, booting, then turning off the computer and reconnecting it? does the red light turn on at all?

I tried unplugging it, rebooting, rebooting again, and then plugging it in, but that didn't work. And yes, the red light on the bottom does come on.

Try going to Device Manager and verify that the mouse is being properly recognized. If it isn't then remove it from the Device Manager, reboot, and let XP detect it and install the drivers. If it is properly recognized try updating the drivers from the manufacturer's web site (I think that Compaq uses Logitech mice).

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back