Optical Mice

Microsoft

After years of computing and many different mice ...... I have landed on the microsoft optical and its just the best mouse in my opinion ......just like the way it feels.

Personally, I'm getting the Logitech MX-500. I've used a MS Intellimouse for too long and it glitches way too often to piss me off.

Of course Im a gamer so its peeves me more :D

Go for the Logitech ...

1) It looks wayyy better
2) It has more buttons and features

they're both perfect perfomers. my advice would be go to a store with demo mice so you can see how each one feels. then base your choice on comfort.

The dodgy no-name $9US Optical mouse! It has served me well for over a year - and i'm hoping for a bit longer :p

But if it has to be one of those - I'd have to agree with taurus, just go and have a look and feel for yourself in store.

I use a Logitech and am happy with it. I haven't tried a MS one though.

Using a Microsoft optical mouse here.
5 buttons, one scroll wheel... has served me well for quite some time now :)

I vote for my $20 inland 5 button scroll wheel been using it for well over a year and never had a single problem optical mouse.

Oh wait thats not on the list......

How come the MX700 isn't a choice?
Is my mouse not good enough to make this conversation?

both are equally good... I am using a dual mouse setup right now... an older optical MS mouse and the logitech cordless mouse..

the mx700 should be included... coz thats the best mouse out there right now... and one of the best looking too :)

Posted by madmatt
How come the MX700 isn't a choice?
Is my mouse not good enough to make this conversation?
no, it's probably too good... kinda expensive. }:>

Posted by jumpy
The dodgy no-name $9US Optical mouse! It has served me well for over a year - and i'm hoping for a bit longer
lol, me too! inland 3-button ps2 optical cost me $7... working absolutely perfectly for probably 2 years now.

I have the MX700 and it's soooo nice. Since the MX500 is basicly the same mouse but with a cord I voted for that one. Never liked MS optical mice, so plastic, so "cheap". Their new cordless seems nice though.

Sorry about the late reply, but last night the connection kept timing out. Anyway I think ill go for the MX500. Your right taurus the MX700 is too expensive and i havent heard much good of cordless mice for gamng. Thanks for the replys people :)

I have an MX700. It's a great mouse. Excellent smooth response. Great looking (for a mouse:D ) but.....

If you want to use the mouse in games, beware, the drivers aren't upto all games. I mainly play Medal of Honour, but, even with the brand new V9.75 drivers, you can't use the extra buttons.

Aaaaand it's a TIE! 8 - 8

DwarfData: There's a fix for that I believe.

Zedric,

Any idea where this fix can be found. I've been hunting high and low, but not found anything.

I've already downloaded this file, and despite what it says in the page you'd given, when you run the file it says it is only for Win95/98 and NT4.

The way this file works has, I believe been addressed in the new drivers released 27th Nov. 02. The drivers monitor which application is launched, and if the file is added to the Registry, the EM_EXEC file will not translate any input from the mouse.

The following is from an email I received from Logitech Support regarding this issue

Logitech Mouse Gaming compatibility

What is it?

We have found that the Logitech assignments in MouseWare are not generally accepted in games. Therefor we no longer provide MouseWare functionality, (button assignments) when you are playing a game, (em_exec is disabled), then we fully re-enable it when you go back to non-gaming applications. This is done by detecting which components are used by the application. The main components we look for are Direct Input and OpenGL, which should cover about 80% of the games. Please note that only 5 buttons on the MX700 or MX500 can be used in games. Buttons 6, 7, and 8, can not be programmed.
Look for added support on these buttons in MouseWare 9.80 (Due to the nature of software development a date is not available).

We do have the flexibility to list other components in case some very popular games don't use these libraries.

How do I support a new game?

By adding a string value with the name of the games executable file name (exe file) in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Logitech\MouseWare\CurrentVersion\GamingCompatibility

For example: NotePad=Notepad.exe

You can try the example above using NotePad by adding this to the registry. Then either quit em_exec by going to the run line and enter (or you can just cut and paste the line below):

"C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\System\EM_EXEC.EXE" /q

or restart the system. Then go to the control panel and restart em_exec by double clicking the mouse icon, then run notepad and you will find the you just get the native buttons, all button assignments are now disabled in
NotePad. Other apps will still receive button assignments.

As new games are released, entries can be added if the game does not use one of the standard libraries or is not listed in the "GamingCompatibility" key. We hope in the future to either offer a .REG file you can download and double click on to update the list of game entries in the
"GamingCompatibility" or a easy to use utility. MouseWare 9.80 will
further improve this system and will add additional button support for the MX mice.

So to recap, MouseWare will be disabled in a game if one of following things happen:

1. The game uses one of the libraries listed below.
2. There is an entry for that games exe file in the "GamingCompatibility" key in the registry.

How do I turn this scheme off?

If you are using the button assignments and did not want em_exec to be disabled while playing the game, you could do this by adding the following entry in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Logitech\MouseWare\CurrentVersion\Technical
UseLGGameScheme="Off"

You will need to quit em_exec or restart the system as described above for this to take effect.

Games currently detected:

Games using the following libraries:

glu32.dll
GLlib.dll
glaux.dll
dinput8.dll

The following specific games:

quake3.exe
UnrealTournament.exe
UNREALTOURNAMENT.ICD
TacticalOps.exe
COMBATFS.EXE
descent3.exe
SoF2.exe
hl.exe
bshift.exe
hitman.exe
game.exe
wolfsp.exe
wolfmp.exe

So, it looks like we'll have to wait until V9.80 drivers for full support of the extra buttons. :mad:

My mouse here Mouse hope it never breaks as i love it to bits...but i dont use logitech drivers with it......i use Trust drivers as they work better in mapping keys for games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back