Optical drives vanished?

teejay

OSNN Newbie
Upon booting up of my PC with Windows Vista i found that neither of my optical drives are recognized by the operating system. My systems is a P4, 1GB RAM, Nvidia pci 5500 video card, Creative Audigy, netgear ga511 NIC. The optical drives are: Lite-On LTR-48124 CDRW and a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D. Both of these drives were working yesterday when I shut down. When i check the device manager I can see the drives listed under the DVD/CD-ROM drives category and both have Yellow ? next to their descriptions.

Wnen I open each drives Properties windows there is a messgae there stating "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing" (Code 39). Click "Check for solutions" to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available". After clicking the "Check for solutions" box a windows pops up saying "Windows is collecting more information about the problem.

This might take several minutes" Then a minute later another box pops up saying "Do you want to send more information about the proplems?" I send the information and then the drives properties box is back up with no solution to my problem.

Does anyone know how to get the original drivers back for these optical drives? I would really appreciate it. Thanks ! TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Teejay.

I just cleaned things up a little bit to make it easier to read.

While in device manager, right-click on your drives and choose uninstall then let windows reinstall them.

Hi, I tried uninstalling the drives but they still come back as unrecognized. Thanks though.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, method 1 worked for me.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
I also had a buddy who installed easy cd creator and had the same problem. edited the registry too and his reappeared. Mine only had lower limits to remove but not upper.
Matt

Thanks Racer. I will bookmark that page in case it happens again. I just re-installed Vista (had to install XP first since the Vista Ultimate was an upgrade DVD). Everything works again fine but I will have to create a restore point and back here this week before something else goes haywire. Thanks again. TJ

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back