Optical drive/ISO burn/extract software (poll)

Recommended/Used CD &/or DVD burning and ripping software (PRIMARILY burning)

• Easy CD/DVD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nero (6 and up)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Cheetah

• Toast (from Roxio)

• FireBurner

• Alcohol 120%

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (inc.OSX)

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Now I DO realise this is a very old and well covered subject.... BUT I thought it worthwhile to make a fresh poll and see if there is any need for an update on the situation. After all in this fast moving world the market leader in a field can change and acquisistions etc can mean older products go out of support etc.

Anyway - please try to stay on topic and concise to keep thread as useful as possible.

For those interested this thread is the most recent I could find on this exact topic (it also refers to a poll, but that must have been in 2003!).

I have a new rig and have always been unhappy with my original burning softare - Roxios WinOnCD (DVD edition). Although it is fine for CD's it seems to let me down for DVD's somehow - and I really tried with their support but could never resolve. So I find myself prepared to buy another....

The initial prompt is I am about to burn a DVD ISO for SuSE... But beyond that I really MUST be able to burn my digital home movies to DVDs that will play on our domestic player (and when I first tried that I found only Nero would do it).

I hope I have got all the major players in the poll - if you use or know of others then post them in the thread and vote for the "Other" option....

Oh - and thanks for any info you supply in advance and STAY ON TOPIC, yeah? :cool:

For straight burning of DVD isos a great freeware program is DVD Decryptor, this allows the burning of image files and also is a very useful dvd ripper. For burning data dvds and burning vob files (dvd movies) I tend to use nero 6. Hope this helps :)

For regular burning, audio, files, authored DVDs, I use Nero. Never needed anything else. For images, I exclusively use Alcohol 120%. The only other burning program I use is the burning tool that comes with tmpeg DVD Author. It just quickly burns my authored DVDs without having to open Nero up. Maybe you could add another option called "Multiple programs"? No one really uses Alcohol as their DVD burning program exclusively.

Well IndyJones - I have been trying my level best to find a way to make DVD Decryptor take as iinpout my ISO image file and I just cannot seem to find a way to make it do that..... seems it is mainly geared up for disc to disc or disc to file operations, whereas my main needs will probably be file to disc.

Now I have the tricky decision as to either which software to buy/trial or whether to attempt to persevere with the WinOnCD DVD edition that I already own (but which I think is a pig to uninstall totally)....

[EDIT] I seem to have got it to work now... no idea why it was not before.... actually downloaded "deepburn" and then double clicked my ISO and it went right into DVD decryptor to write it.... a little TOO intuitive for me, maybe? :confused: [/EDIT]

use Alcohol for Iso, but any other files I use Nero/EasyCD.
one other thing. Find Alcohol's virtual drive annoying, don't know why they install it.

vern - I would changethe poll if I could (esp. since I have discovered there are quite a few I did not cover in poll and one or two of those are actually "contenders") but I am not aware of any way to edit a poll

I use Isobuster to extract and Nero to burn. I have never had a bad burn.

vern said:
For regular burning, audio, files, authored DVDs, I use Nero. Never needed anything else. For images, I exclusively use Alcohol 120%.

:)

I've only used Nero, Toast, and Alcohol, but for overall burning I'd say I like Nero the best. Alcohol is nice for copy protection emulation; however, the free Daemon Tools does that better.

Voted for 'Other'

I used Nero up until v6 was released. Then I thought about looking for free alternatives. Now I just burn small files with XP itself (Windows Explorer copy/paste) and use CDBurnerXP for larger files and ISOs:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

I use Alcohol 120%'s virtual drive to mount ISO or other image files, then do a straight CD or DVD Copy in Nero. It saves having to extract from the image with something like ISO Buster. :cool:

Burrrn for audio cd's
Burnatonce for data cd's
(both free)

I don't burn dvd that often, but I do still have nero installed if I do burn a dvd. Think I'll just get burnatonce working for that when I have a chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back