Optical Drive Brands

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi all,
Need some opinions. I'm planning to buy a new burner and have been looking around for the right brand. Personally, Sony optical drives have served me extremely well, while Creative drives are great paper weights. :p
What do you guys think? What brand optical drives have been serving you well? Thanks. :D

RaG

I can make 3 recommendations:

Lite-on

Lite-on

Lite-on

Sony is over priced, the models I had noisier, and since Sony makes and sells one of the CD copy protection schemes less backup copy friendly.

Figure about $50 for a "whatever the current speed is (52X burn?)" Lite-on.

*adds vote for plextor*

*adds two votes for lite-on*

;)

Lite-on huh... haven't used Lite-on before, so I don't have any experience with them. How's their longevity?

And how about DVD-ROMs? Do you guys suggest the same brands? Thanks!

RaG

P.S. Going to buy one soon, so would like some prompt answers please. Thanks.

Originally posted by Ragnarok
Lite-on huh... haven't used Lite-on before, so I don't have any experience with them. How's their longevity?

And how about DVD-ROMs? Do you guys suggest the same brands? Thanks!

RaG

P.S. Going to buy one soon, so would like some prompt answers please. Thanks.

Sorry to double post and nag... but I would please like some answers about the above! :)
Thanks.

RaG

I h ave a 52x24x52x LG Burner and it's great! I recommend LG. I dont have a LG DVDROM but if I ad the cash I would buy one.

Originally posted by Ragnarok
never hear anything bad about lite-on and that's about as good of a longevity claim as you can ask for. if people aren't complaining about lite-on's busting, then they probably aren't.

LG is decent, as well.

not sure about dvdrom. i'm sure any dvdrom from a top quality cdrw manufacturer would be plenty good. pioneer dvdroms are decent.

Have been using both a Lite-on CDRW and Lite-on DVD-rom for 18 months without a problem.

CC

As with others, been using a Lite-On burner with no problems at all

Lite-on is good quality for a good price.

I bought a SONY, and I regret it. :( It cost me $200 a few years ago, and now there are better burners out there for a quarter of the price.

Plextor PlexWriter Premium. A "two sheep" burner at that. Price is excellent, right around $100.00 (USDA) +/-. Lite-on are good burners but do not outlast a Plextor.

Originally posted by Daviepants
I bought a SONY, and I regret it. :( It cost me $200 a few years ago, and now there are better burners out there for a quarter of the price.

Same here, though, I didn't regret it... I now just want more speed! :D

Originally posted by SnookBooger
Plextor PlexWriter Premium. A "two sheep" burner at that. Price is excellent, right around $100.00 (USDA) +/-. Lite-on are good burners but do not outlast a Plextor.

I have heard a lot about Plextor, but it is a bit expensive for me, even though that would be my choice if I had the money. Thanks 4 the help guys!! :D

It doesn't matter what brand you get as long as they're going to be in the market for a long time.
Plextor and LiteOn makes quite good ones.
I've had my LiteOn one for about 2 years now and it's still working perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back