Optial Mouse Battery Life ?

L

Luna64

I am pretty sure my M$ mouse is broken.

I got the Wireless Optical mouse, not sure of the name. It came with the Office (black) Keyboard by M$.

The mouse is awesome. Great size and everything.

The only problem is that the batteries are only good for 3 weeks at most. I have tried many brands and the longest they are good for is 3, maybe 4 weeks.

This can't be normal. I am spending a fortune on batteries :(

How long should they last ? I use my PC for about 4 to 5 hours a day on weekends, and maybe 3 hours a day durring week days.

Plus, when I first got the mouse all the batteries I used leaked acid all over the place.

P.S.

I am looking for a new wireless mouse, so does anyone know of any good ones ? I saw the MX700 by Logitech. Pardon my spelling. That one looked cool. I also saw a Blue one by M$ that was looking pretty nifty.

thats common :)

you can extend the life a little bit by going ahead and reducing number of samples taken per second.. the lower the number the less the battery is used :)

btw... the mx700 is rechargeable :) the base allows a recharge and I think overnight allows you to use the thing for a week or so..

the mouse is accurate and looks and feels very nice :)

The MX700 is great! Simply the best mouse I've had.

You can increase bettery time by using the mouse on a bright, reflective surface instead of a dark.

Go figure I am using a black non relfective surface :)

i got the logitech cordless optical combo for xmas. its sweet i love it. its awesome for gamming. the batteries in the keyboard are the ones that it cam with still. the ones in the mouse lasted exactly 1 month and 3 days. and i use my computer alot more that u do. if you want to reduce the amount of cash you spend on batteries invest in the hi quaility rechargeables. i got mine from an commercial electronics supply store. i always keep a set charged.

Hmm...now I know why I didn't want a wireless keyboard or mouse, although I definitely love optical mice.

Melon

Well I am going for the MX700. Good times.

Not as big as I would like it to be, but I have used it and it's a very nice mouse :)

Plus you don't have to change the batteries. BIG plus.

Maybe they should make keyboards with docking stations too? They usually stay in the same place anyhow. And if you want to detach it you can...

I have the Logitech Cordless Duo as oDin has. I am trying to remember exactly when I got it. It has been around 2 months. I haven't replaced any batteries yet.

my keyboard is running on GOOD level of batteries even after many months of usage... the mouse first time went after a month and a half and now is still going strong :) I turned the sample rate down and the life is prolonged :)

Double click your mouse in Device Manager and go to the Advanced tab ... mine was set to 200 (which is the max)

I was wondering how low I can push it without compromising performance considerably. I have a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse.

I have the ms optical mouse also, and yea the batteries don't last. I just went and bought 4 rechargable rayovac batteries.

Originally posted by Maveric169
I have the ms optical mouse also, and yea the batteries don't last. I just went and bought 4 rechargable rayovac batteries.

That is the way to go. I went out to my local RadioShack and picked up 8 Ni-MH AA's and a charger for ~$35.00 US. I just keep rotating them so there's always a fresh set handy. BTW: I have 8 because I also use a cordless keyboard.

My Logitech (not the MX700) optical cordless mouse lasts about 2-3 weeks and I use my PC quite a bit. The mouse surface is a dark gray with lighter flecks. The keyboard lasts a LOT longer: about 2-3 months.

Kinda off-topic (sorta), but has anyone tried replacing the red LED with a blue one in their optical mouse? I would try it but not sure if the sensor will work good enough (if at all) with the blue LED.

My wireless optical mouse blue is great!

Seriously although the batteries that came with it only lasted about 2 weeks the second lot are going strong after nearly 5. Also the sample rate is set to 200.

I have a light oak effect desk... I would also say that my useage matches or exceeds that of Luna64.

The batteries I'm using are Duracell.

Mubbers

Actually, I was talking about replacing the actual red LED component with a blue one.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Actually, I was talking about replacing the actual red LED component with a blue one.

Nah I wasn't referring to your post!! Musta a been coincidence as Idon't think your post was up when I started writing mine...

But in any respect if you can afford to mess up your mouse give it a go - should be interesting, Does a blue LED use less power? Will the sensor see the blue light?

Mubbers

Originally posted by Mubbers
Nah I wasn't referring to your post!! Musta a been coincidence as Idon't think your post was up when I started writing mine...

But in any respect if you can afford to mess up your mouse give it a go - should be interesting, Does a blue LED use less power? Will the sensor see the blue light?

Mubbers

Oops, must have been a coincidence. :)

Actally the blue LEDs are a bit different. They require about the same current, but the biggest difference is the Vf (forward voltage) rating. A normal LED Vf is about 2v, while a blue LED's Vf rating is about 4v. Since the mouse uses 2 AA batteries (3volts), it is not enough to drive a normal blue LED. The mouse may use some type of voltage doubling circuit but I doubt it. So, I would say that a blue LED would not work.

I guess I answered my own question. :huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back