Opteron @ 1.8ghz faster than a 3 gig pentium?

A

Ace123

Well the benchmarks are in ladies and gentalmen and it looks like we have a winner. While browing threw the anadtech forums I came across and interesting article about projecting the performance of an athlon 64. So they stuck a pci slot geforce 4 in a number of machines including.... you guessed it, A pentium 4 3.06 gig with hyperthreading enabled. Running at 1.8 ghz and being a server processor it was expected to run VERY well at buisness aplications and day to day work. But when they started to benchmark it in some gaming tests a phenomenom emerged. They opteron put a heavy lead out on intels pentium 4 3.06 gig processor. Is it in the onboard die? Will intel be able to keep up? What does this mean for the future of computing? Ill let you decide.

i saw this too, it was on AMDs from page the other day, also NTFS from page (post by Sazar).. Im amazed and happy that AMD got its balls back.

if only the dipshits would bring there price's down like they used to be, instead of matching Intel on price. AMD was susposed to always be cheaper.

Originally posted by GoNz0
if only the dipshits would bring there price's down like they used to be, instead of matching Intel on price. AMD was susposed to always be cheaper.

amd is cheaper... look @ the performance/dollar value and amd wins hands down...

opteron's are server side... the athlon64's are for desktops and should be out soon.. @ higher clocks I believe (ie north of 2.0 ghz... )

amd needs profits gonzo... they dont do things just to make their fans happy... they also need to appease their investors :)

just wait tell the desktop version come out, they will be cheaper.

Originally posted by Krux
just wait tell the desktop version come out, they will be cheaper.

newer products always command a premium... regardless of manufacturer...

Oh I know this I remember paying 200 bucks for a 1800+ was just saying the desktop ones should be a cheaper solution.

Originally posted by Krux
Oh I know this I remember paying 200 bucks for a 1800+ was just saying the desktop ones should be a cheaper solution.

I am sure it will be cheaper than the server side solution... does it not come with less cache... maknig it cheaper ?

I don't think it will hamper games much thats more of a content creation and work type of feature I really don't care about. let my work worry about how fast I can make stuff, when I'm at home its all about games :)

Welll acctually There will be two version of the athlon 64. One with a 256 cache and one matching the servers onboard catch at 1meg. Im interested in seeing how they divide these two processors. I wonder if it will be a duron/athlon type deal. Also will the decreased pin count effect the performance that much? I wonder if us hard core gamers will be attacking the opteron solutions with nfroce 3 pro boards with server chips. It should be interesting to see how long Amd raises the stakes before the lay their royal flush against Intels hand. One thing is for sure, Intel made a big mistake by not trying to match Amd on this.

I can't wait for the nForce 3 motherboard that Asus is developing: will be the first multimedia-friendly solution for the Opteron processor. I think I'm going to want one of those over the Athlon 64 in due time.

A 1.4 GHz Opteron 240 is going for $305.00 OEM on NewEgg.com ($315.00 retail), but I wouldn't buy it yet; the motherboards out there for it are crap right now (they have no AGP slots, for instance).

Melon

Originally posted by SnookBooger
The Athlon 64 should be compared fairly to Intel's upcoming Prescott.

psssssahhh same ol P4 clocked faster still doing no work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back