Opera 9 Released!

yalooze

OSNN Addict
Opera 9 Final has just been released!

http://www.opera.com

What is Opera?
Opera is a fully featured internet browser that runs under most operating system.
It is fast, light-weight, reliable and secure.
Opera is often seen as a more power-user browser but with this latest release a lot of work has been done to simplify the browser for the average user (simple UI and easily customizable).
I have personally been using Opera since around version 6 and have never turned back.

New Features in this version:

Bittorrent
You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.
Content Blocker
Remove ads or images - it's up to you. Right-click (CTRL-click on the Mac) on the Web page and choose "Block content".
Add your favourite search engines
Right-click on the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.
Thumbnail preview
It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.
Site preferences
Want to view a site in a different way or deny certain cookies? Want to block pop-ups on certain sites only? Right click and select "Edit site preferences".
Widgets
Small Web applications (multimedia, newsfeeds, games and more) that make your desktop experience more fun. Use the Widgets menu to discover new widgets and access your favorites. Visit widgets.opera.com to learn more.
Improved rich text editing
Use advanced text editing features for today's most popular Web applications.

Screenshots

Security

Why switch to Opera?

Opera is completely free, so there's no reason for you not to give it a try.

If, when trying Opera there's a feature that another browser (IE/Firefox) has that you can't find or any other queries, feel free to post here.

For additional reading/help try Opera tutorials or Opera's forum.

Download here

Enjoy.

I haven't used it since, not sure what version, it said it was free but had all kinds of ad's at the top of it and stuff.

Does Opera still have those?

Nope, those ads are gone. I think they removed them in 8.5 (maybe earlier, not sure)

Well, I am in a trying mood, I'm a hardcore Firefox guy now, but I'm bored so I will give Opera a go again

Well, for the past couple days I have been using Opera. I am not so happy with it. Yea sure it has some good features but it's not Firefox.

I don't like how no links, no bookmarks etc dont open up new tabs....

Widgets are too complicated, as in there all over the place and become not as usefull, simple text,image extensions are better

you also can't customize it as much, there is no changing the whole menu positions, and sizes etc

I would not reccommend this to anyone, unless maybe they use IE

I don't like how no links, no bookmarks etc dont open up new tabs....

tools > preferences > advanced > tabs > 'reuse current tab' (untick)

Also, the first time you use middle-click on a link an option comes up asking what you would like to set this to. I choose, 'open in new tab in background' and I use this all the time.

I agree widgets aren't very useful. But they're there if you want them and if you have them off they're not affecting performance, so no biggie.

Don't know if you use the mouse-gesture extension in firefox, but I cannot live without this in opera. If i'm on a friends computer, often using IE, I always unconsciously try and use mouse gestures before I realize that i'm in the wrong browser :)

Not sure what you mean about "changing the whole menu positions". Can you explain this?

Oh, and a final tip for new opera users: the content blocker has its purpose but it's not an end all solution. Using custom stylesheets is a much better option. Save Adblocker.css, found here, then go to:

tools > preferences > advanced > content > 'styles options' > set 'My style sheet' to the location of adblocker.css (eg. C:\Program Files\Opera\styles\AdBlocker.css) you can put it anywhere.

thanks for the help, for the changing menu positions, you can't really move the back and forth, etc buttons up beside the File, edit menu, neither with the address bar, with firefox I have everything in one bar...

I found another problem, I can't seem to login here, using Opera?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see what you mean. I guess that is a restriction with Opera, however you can easily put everything you need in 2 bars (ie. file, edit etc. and back, forward, address, search etc.). Using a minimal skin it really doesn't take up much room.

opera.png

The extra bar between file, edit and back, forward is the status bar. I prefer this up the top as I find my eyes are usually nearer the top of the screen. I can't seem to be able to change this in firefox (will only display at the bottom), if you know how let me know.

As for not being able to login here at OSNN, i'm baffled. I've never, ever had a problem with this. As a long shot I thought it may have had something to do with already being logged on with a different browser, but i just tried using IE and Firefox and it all seemed fine. I have both cookies and referrer logging enabled. Not sure if they're both needed but hit F12 and see if they're ticked or not. Otherwise i'm not really sure ^_^

alright thanks, I'll try some new skins, umm yea both cookies and referrer are enabled...hmmm

Been using v9 since the initial alpha/beta/pre releases. Must say I even use it over Fx sometimes these days.

I never really cared for opera. They put way to much hype in to it.

I think so too, I might just be because I'v been using Firefox for so long, but I can't seem to get my head around Opera.

I'm convinced browsers are a "what you're used to" thing

I can't get away from ie, though I've tried pretty darned hard, I even had the ie skin on firefox and just couldn't go the extra mile.

I'm gonna give all of these browsers another try

btw;

is the full pocket opera available free too?

Opera 8.60 for Windows Mobile, Pocket PC has a 30-day free trial here.

Opera Mini, is free, for any phone capable of running java applications, here.

Opera 9.02RC1

This is RC1 for 9.02, so please look out for regressions since 9.01. That means comparing bugs you find in this build to 9.01 and labelling them as [regression] when you find that the bug is new. Happy hunting!

Changelog:

• Fixed crash on live.com
  • Dialog again appears when subscribing to feeds
  • More fixes to falsely greyed out properties on bookmarks
  • More fixes to Gmails spellcheck
  • Yahoo mail beta should now work better
  • Fix for flash videos not always working on youtube and elsewhere
  • Added support for selectNodes and selectSingleNode
  • Updated OpenSSL due to http://secunia.com/advisories/21982/
ECMAScript

• Made Slashdot Discussion2 beta work properly (Parse INT larger than 8388608)
UNIX

• Copying and pasting now works properly on gmail

Mac

• Shubert's PDF plugin now works

Windows MSI
Windows Classic
Macintosh
Unix
Trackbacks

prev.gif
Thank you and goodbye!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back