Opening Pics problem

S

SuDs

hey,

i guess this is an odd question, one that i hope one of you can crack.

All of a sudden, when i try to open any image file from my desktop it takes like 20-30 seconds to open in windows picture and fax viewer. if i move the file anywhere other than my desktop it opens in a snap.

this annoying bug has been killin me over the past few month, and i've tried coping with it, but i've completely given up.

so if any of you that have the same problem or know the solution to this, do tell.

btw, i'm running windows xp, 1Gig 333 ram, 80 GB HD, Intel P4 2.53.

thanks!

Start > Run > regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

Then (if not before) get ACDSee.
Version 3.1 is my fav... the later versions are bloated + generally suck. I can hook you up with my version if you like.

man you should have warned me that it stops the preview from opening, by chance i punched in Start > Run > regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll and got it back up.

but yeah, i could always use other programs but there something about windows image viewer that i like.

still haven't cracked this puzzle.

Are you using active desktop? If so turn it off and see if that helps. Active desktop slows down performance.

Defrag your hard drive if it hasn't been done lately. Pictures are big and can get fragmented easily. But that doesn't explain 30 seconds.

... Duh! Are you running out of memory? Check your memory utilization. If the file is too big everything starts spooling back and forth to HD.

i never thought of active desktop, i remember trying to use it once, and then gave up.

now i want to disable it and now i can't seem to find the web tab or the active desktop option. argh.

looked high and low for the ability to get it back and the suggestions givin worked for others...yet didn't work for me.

starting to think that may be it....but i dunno.

any more suggestions?

i was dumb, i found it.

i still got that damn problem, nothing seems to work now.:mad:

Hey if you find an answer let me know. Large 800x600 or larger JPGS are not showing in IE. If I do a GOOGLE search for images the thumbs are not showing up. I am baffled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back