Opening "my computer" just shows Torch scanning

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, at a freinds today, and they had a problem opening my computer on winxpsp2

scanned with adaware SE 1.05, Spybot S&D 1.3, CWshredder 2, NOD32, Mcafee, Fprot, Regcleaner, Regcompact...... all updated, found few small problems.. but even after scanning and repairing with them, whenever i opened my computer i got an error "explorer has encountered an error and will now be closed.. etc etc.." so i clicked on details and it showed something about a mod called "customie32"

none of these virus scanners or spyware tools found thgis, which i thought was very strange..

anyway i did a search for CustomIE
up popped customIE32.dll in system32..

i rebooted too safe mode and deleted it..

now when i click on my computer, it at least opens, but just shows the torch searching for items...

wondering if anyone has come across this before? thought id ask here before i proced too format and reinstal his machine..

thanks for any help

kC :confused:

Doing a repair instead of a format should fix it. All that is probably needed is that file. See if you can find it on the XP disk & put it back in system32.

find customie32.dll?

never heard of it before nor seen it

Seems it ain't a system file. I ain't got it either.....after doing a search.

Have a look in Windows Explorer/tools/folder options/file types.

Look at 'folder' near the top. Click advanced. Does it have 'explore' & 'open' in there??

Select 'explore' as default if you need to that is.

yep that all seems normal..
on this guys PC if i type c:/ or any path, it instantly goes too them no probs..
just "my computer" it cannot view

If they have a recent restore point you could try that then slowly remove the spyware.

will format the box i think on monday, cant be bothered messing around, was lookuing for a solution..its their fault for probably brwosing crap sites..
cheers anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back