opening Hotmail using Messenger

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I always check my Hotmail Inbox from the MSN Messenger menu since it will open up straight to the Inbox without having to go through login again. However, recently I have been brought to a page asking me to re-enter my password before I get to the Inbox. I checked my Messenger options and I don't have the option checked that requires me to re-enter my pass. Is this a new security precaution that Microsoft has decided to implement, or is there something else I'm missing that is causing this? I thougt a major point of Passport was that you could go from site to site without having to re-enter your credentials.

Me too...

I have the same problem, haven't been able to figure out whats wrong though.

I check my Hotmail through Outlook Express and I have it set to automatically sign me in (using the option for it to remember my password). I have not had any problems with signing in when checking mail through Outlook Express.

However - just for grins, I tired it the way you said you did it - it also asked me to log in again - very interesting - but I have no explaination!
:confused:

I just took it a step further and called up Encarta - which is a NET Pass site - I just clicked "log on" and I got in no problem?????

Same problem here on both of my computers, and now i've gone back to using Outlook Express's hotmail. Would be nice to get it working correctly again.

What browser are you using?

I'm using Mozilla and this password request also occurs to me.

I'm just wondering if it could be a MS attempt to make people use IE. Cause i can't change my passport details unless i use IE or Netscape. (mmm... lucky i made Mozilla look like Internet Explorer :) )

yeah... IE 6 here as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem... but it is frustrating that we're all having to do this.

I get the same thing and noticed it ONLY started after installing .NET & .NET SP1 :rolleyes: :mad:

Originally posted by stuy_b
I get the same thing and noticed it ONLY started after installing .NET & .NET SP1 :rolleyes: :mad:

I haven't installed either of these and it's still happening to me.

Originally posted by DoubleClick

I haven't installed either of these and it's still happening to me.

Neither have I, so it's something else. Maybe I'll just start using Outlook... but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

SOLUTION (I think)

Don't sign out of Hotmail when you are done. Just close the window. The next time I opened up Hotmail it went straight to the Inbox.

Still nothing :(

I have tried countless numbers of fixs and ideas but i'm flat out now. Anyone else have any luck?

:mad: me thinks microsoft has changed something, maybe new security ??

But I still cant get it to work :(

not really

Well, the only thing I've found is that if you sign in and then close the window without signing out, Messenger will take you directly to the message when the new email box pops up and you click on it. Why this happens makes no sense to me, and I can't figure out why this problem is happening anyway.

Is this the answer???

Within Hotmail Help - under "Set a time limit for your MSN Hotmail session - it states:

"MSN Hotmail is set up so that you are only signed out of your account when you click Sign Out in the upper-right corner of any Hotmail page, or close your browser window. "

So what I did, was I made sure IE 6 (my browser) was opened and signed into Hotmail to check for messages. Then I closed Hotmail and then went back to check mail again and it did not ask for a sign -in.

To carry it further, I made sure IE6 was open, signed in to check Hotmail and then exited Hotmail. I then shut down IE6. I then went back to check Hotmail again and it asked me to sign-in.

Bottom line as I see it:

Once you sign in (with your browser open) you will be able to get back into Hotmail without signing in - for as long as you leave your browser open.

If you do not have your browser open when you sign in - you will be required to sign in every time.

Can someone else try this out with IE 6 to see if this works for them??

How about Mozilla - I would guess it works the same way!!

One more thing I just tried - I closed my browser, I shut down messenger (to close Hotmail) and I shut down Outlook Express!

I then started Outlook Express and it automatically signed me in so I could check my Hotmail from within OE. Does not matter if IE6 is running or not!

Thus I am sticking to checking my Hotmail thru OE - seems to be a little less hassle!

i don't think they want to use OE :D

but i just tested it BEFORE i sent this message and using MEssenger 4.6 (4.6.0078) it went straight to my inbox.

so make sure "Allways ask me for my password when checking
Hotmail ..." is unchecked.

under Tools > Options > Privacy

Hope that helps!

nIabI

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back