opening a directory is asking me to reformat my drive ???

L

lechtard

O.k .. I have a directory that I try to open, when I click on it the pc comes to a stall then a pop-up comes up saying that the drive is not formatted and then goes to ask me if I woudl like to format it now ..

I have tried to delete the file also, I got a error message saying that it not empty. That is normal for xp because it won't allow you to delete the directory when there are other directories in it.

I have also went into admin mode and safe trying to delete it, it would not do it in either of them ...

anyone know why it is doing this and have any ideas how I can fix it ???

I know a little about pc's and everything I try does not work with this, it basically driving me nuts - I am to a point where I might just back the whole 80 gig hd up and just delete all the partitions, do a disk clean and then reinstall everything ...

Have you tried using the command prompt? Open it & go to the folder that you want to delete. Open task manager/processes & close explorer. Leave task manager open. Go to the prompt & try removing the folder using the rd command. Go back to task manager/application & start explorer.

I did try to use "command Prompt" it won't let me go to it. It is another drive on a partitioned hd, the "command Prompt" will only allow me to go drive C:, also the drive is not empty .. rd will only work if the directory is empty. I would have to use deltree for it. but like I said it won't let me get to it ..

This won't help you this time but maybe for future use. If you want to remove a folder with files inside after the rd command add /S = Remove folders with files inside.

What do you mean by the command prompt will not allow to go to it? To go to another drive type as example D: and press enter or use the cd command followed by the /d switch and the path you want to go to. Like at the C:\> prompt type: cd /d E:\any directory

Are you actually sure that this is a directory and not a drive (partition) you want to delete? Who or what created this directory and what is supposed to be in it?

that worked to get to the drive yoyo - but when I tried to do the "rd /s" command it gave me the "directory is not empty" error, and when I tried to do the "del" command it gave a "data error <cyclic redundancy check" error.

I tried to list the dir and it gave a "file not found" error.

it is a directory I want deleted - If it was the drive I could just go into fdisk and do it that way ...

I am lost on this ..

Just out of interest replace the rd command with rmdir /s & see what that does. Just wanna see if rd & rmdir do anything differently.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Just out of interest replace the rd command with rmdir /s & see what that does. Just wanna see if rd & rmdir do anything differently.

that gives me a "directory is not empty" error also .. whe I try to delete it in the explorer window it tells me that the disk needs formatted - this is the only dir it does this with .. I was going to select format but am in fear of it doing the whole drive. I have 60 gig of stuff on this drive to lose over one dir.

I went to ms site and used everything they said to do - none of them worked.

Default behaviour for rd /s is that it asks for a confirmation to delete (unless you added the /q switch =quiet).

Seems to be a weird problem.

Can you give some more information about this directory? Name, origin, can you right click > properties..?

Also virus scan and chkdsk come to mind..

Originally posted by yoyo
Default behaviour for rd /s is that it asks for a confirmation to delete (unless you added the /q switch =quiet).

Seems to be a weird problem.

Can you give some more information about this directory? Name, origin, can you right click > properties..?

Also virus scan and chkdsk come to mind..

I made it archive but it keeps going back to read only,, I have'nt done a virus scan yet - I don't have a virus scanner installed (I know I should have one) it is a music file, I was able to rename it and move it around the drive but I can't delete it or enter it ..

It's fixed - I ran a scan disk and it fixed it ... thanx for all the help guys ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back