opendns....your thoughts

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
is anyone here using it, is it that good, have you noticed any performance (faster loading times of pages) and such through using it, is it safe, and more important do they log you.

ISP's dns at times is a bit pants and looking for another option

i use opendns ever since it had been advised on this forum. never had any problems with it

Last edited:
might give it a go then, just i do on-line banking - just checking balance rarely a transfer to a friend, so was just concerned about that really

Even if they do logging, what are they going to find out about you? The fact that you prefer bigger sized women with small boobs?

Come on, like your traffic out of all of the traffic they are getting is going to be interesting at all.

I run my own resolving cache on my local lan. That way when I query for google.com it is sitting locally in cache rather than on some server on the net.

I've used OpenDNS for awhile and find it pretty stable. I have no real idea about logging. I do know that from the first release of the DNS patch they were updated while my own ISP was not.

There are instances now and then when I have a glitch with OpenDNS but I've also dealt with DNS issues with ISPs before. The really can't say anything negative about OpenDNS. I'd recommend trying it and doing a comparison between using it and your own ISPs DNS servers.

Wait, what is OpenDNS and how and why would I use it?

its a dns server (domain name server) helps to resolve names like osnn.net to the name from its ip addy

Last edited:
Wait, what is OpenDNS and how and why would I use it?

Very simple to use. Here's the website: http://www.opendns.com/

More about OpenDNS: http://www.opendns.com/how/dns/turning-names-into-numbers

It allows safer web usage by allowing site filtering if you want and will block bad sites, adult sites, etc. You can change the settings as you see fit.

It's free and cake to use. Set up an account to manage your settings. Then under your LAN settings manually set the DNS server IPs to be the ones used by OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

I like it so far.

I've used it since it first went official. I can't say I've ever really had an issue that was worth remembering. A glitch here or there but they quickly went away. :)

But where does that point from there X?
Been using Opendns a few weeks and haven't really noticed if it is faster or slower although I did make the change once Neowin had moved servers - looks like Pipex is particularly slow!

... As if I trust my ISP to not log everything, anyway. OpenDNS can feel free to log my lookups. I've got nothin' to hide. :p

I use OpenDNS at home and we have been using it at work also. It works quite well.

And as rotjong said, "It's Cake". Plus all the other good stuff. :)

I have tested using OpenDNS and my ISP's DNS servers and saw no difference at all in speed or routing times.
I can imagine that some people may see a diference though depending on how their connection is routed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back