OpenDNS.com - if you don't know what it means, read!

Petros

Thief IV
I searched around for improving DNS queries, and stumbled on OpenDNS.com.

My ISP's DNS sucks, as a lot of people's do. Since I set up my router to use it for DNS queries, things have been better. No more sitting around waiting for a web page to come up (i'm looking at YOU, myspace), no more "page not found" when I accidentally type .cmo into a web address...everything about it is great!

Just to make sure I gave credit to the first person to mention it on this site, I did a search.

Thanks, fitz, for posting it in news and to rotjong for bringing this up in the forums!

Thanks for the info, I will have to check this out when I get home. Is there a noticeable lookup speed difference?

Cool, good for those people that don't have their own network DNS cache ;)

Thanks for the info, I will have to check this out when I get home. Is there a noticeable lookup speed difference?

I'd say. I don't know if you use myspace much if at all, but I don't get a lot of slowdown from it that I used to, or pages that have a lot hotlinks to images and media on other sites are faster too.

My ISP's DNS server's totally suck, so I found OpenDNS a while back and they simply rock. They're the best one's I've used so far. I use em on all my friend's and families' configs (when it's possible to specify my own).

I'd say. I don't know if you use myspace much if at all, but I don't get a lot of slowdown from it that I used to, or pages that have a lot hotlinks to images and media on other sites are faster too.

That sounds awesome, I do use myspace (more than I care to admit :p )

I'm heading home in a few minutes, this will be the first thing I do when I get logged in :)

Maybe the ISP's I've used just have decent DNS, but I've not noticed any speed difference when using OpenDNS... I use it for the handy features though. Auto corrections, search and phishing protection :)

Maybe the ISP's I've used just have decent DNS, but I've not noticed any speed difference when using OpenDNS... I use it for the handy features though. Auto corrections, search and phishing protection :)

You are lucky. Here in the US many ISPS have two or three DNS servers, and that is it. OpenDNS is a cluster or farm of DNS servers, so response times are a lot better than the response times from the ISPs servers. I personally always use the Level3 customer provided ones, 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. They have 40> msec response times at all times.

I've always set up my router to receive DNS automatically from the ISP and then manually configured the L3 DNS servers as my backups. Never had a problem.

Bulldog's DNS servers used to be shocking, Pipex' seem to be working fine for me at the moment.

I am currently trying this OpenDNS thing too. There is just one thing that kind of bothers me though...every time I bank is it safe? I mean these are other DNS Servers im hitting outside of my ISP's so doesn't it make you wonder? I have just a slight worry on that.

I'd say your as safe as using your ISP's servers. Banking online is encrypted anyhow, so there shouldn't really be a problem. :)

Shameless bump for me, but I think I will actually be adding these tonight and seeing how things go!

I run my own caching servers locally, with 7 people there is just too much DNS traffic that otherwise has to run over the pipes.

I just added it, hopefully I'll notice the changes here at work and at home.

How would you set this up on a XP system?

I have not a single clue. When I said locally, I meant on my private network at home. And if I am anywhere in public, I have a VPN set up, so I still use that very same DNS server, and use my home gateway as the outgoing machine and have all my traffic encrypted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back