"Open With" function missing

A

Augie66

In using Windows Explorer in XP-pro, I have somehow managed to lose the use of the "Open With" function. Where before it showed all the programs available, now it opens with just a "Blank" screen. Any ideas as how to restore this? Thanks

Backup first.

Check your settings here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications. Select the associated sub-key, if 'NoOpenWith' is listed, delete it.

This setting allows you to control whether the checkbox to save the "Open With" program is available when an unknown file type is opened.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command

To enable the checkbox set the (Default) value to "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1".
Return to the desktop and press F5 for the change to take effect.

Thanks, Mate! I am going to give it a try.
BTW, your tagline; "Trust me, I haven't done this before and it didn't work then either" strikes home; real hard too!! My fav is "Never trust a computer you can't thow out the f'n window!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back