Open Source Software for Windows

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
A lot of people don't know the advantages of open-source software, and end up paying a ton of money for apps that do basically the same thing as their freely available open-source counterparts.
First of all, since open-source apps are under the GNU Public License (GPL) they're obviously freeware. Secondly, since the source code is freely distributed, the software is constantly being improved and bugs are fixed very often. This gives you an app that's not only free, but also very reliable and feature-rich.

So anyways, the point of this thread was to share with all of you a great site that I happened to come across. Basically, it lists some of the most common commercial apps in various categories and lists their open-source counterparts. The author of the page has also included his own comments on each piece of software. It's similar to the link I had posted in this thread that lists Linux counterparts of common Windows apps.

Check it out...you might find something you like: :D
Open Source Software for Windows

And if enough people find it useful, I might stick the thread for future reference. :)

EDIT: SpeedY_B also suggests stopping by http://www.sourceforge.net to get the latest versions of open-source apps. ;)

Heh, I actually use half the stuff on there, after I format all I ever have to do is pop to sourceforge and grab the latest versions of everything :D

I started using FileZilla last week. I like it so much better than WS_FTP :D

The stuff off that page that I use is:
Mozilla, FileZilla, NcFTP, Miranca ICQ (now called Miranda IM), Real VNC, Tight VNC, PuTTY, Lynx (links is better though), Dorgem, Fwink, wget, cURL, nmap, zinf, coolplayer, vDub, CDex, VideoLan, OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, HTML Tidy + Tidy GUI, Legacy Doom, Tenbrae (well, tenbrae2..same thing though), 7-Zip, CygWin, Active Perl, Snort, X-Chat
:D

I really don't understand what open-source means.

Open source is the name given to software that is developed by programmers and given to the public for free. Not only is the fuinished product free but the source code is free also. That means that another programmer can come along and add stuff he thinks is really cool to the original program or reuse parts of it in his own product as long as he doesn't try and charge for his product.

Any software that is called open source has to be distributed for free since it contains the work of others that was donated only for free use. You can charge for support of the software or a distribution fee.

The entire Linux operating system is based on open source code.
There are excellent knock offs of Windows office programs that are compatible with the M$ products. Multiple national governments have told Bill Gate$ to shove it and are switching from windows to Open Source Linux and the M$ Office clones.

Some open source runs only on Linux, other open source runs under Windows. You can set up your computer to boot from either Linux or Windows and share a data disk.

Many of the open source programs are much more user friendly than Windows applications and open source products are much less of a target for hackers than M$ products are.

PS Yes, Bill Gate$ is nervous, that's why he is branching out into home entertainment appliances and game consoles.

Oh. I understand Now. (nods head slowly). Thank you very much for your explaination. :D

I have a fully legal set of MS Office XP CDs (well semi legal we have two sets of discs for one PC cause dell screwed up :p) but I still use OpenOffice, and its only like 13MB or something like that

Good site. I've just recently been looking into the open source stuff and have had trouble finding what is available.

Added the SourceForge link to the original post, and thread stuck :)

The Open CD is a nice idea, but it's not updated regularly enough (obviously it would be a pain to follow every software release)
Which is why I like Sourceforge, they have the most updated projects on the front page, so you know that you're not downloading something that won't be bugfixed for months.

open source software is definately my favorite kind...

in most cases, if you find a bug or have a suggestion, it will be implemented very quickly!

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
The Open CD for Windows contains some freeware. It's an ISO which you download and burn. It does contain some older software though, but it gives you the idea.

That would have been a nice idea, but understandably, it's not very easy to keep the pack current when each of the apps are updated every so often.
The more programs link on the site has a nice list though. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back