Onecare...grrrrr

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
so i was like..why not...took off my avg and installed onecare..well it doesnt work and now i cant uninstall it. everytime i do something i get this BS...an open error and an uninstall error...now im pretty pissed..any ideas??:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Attachments

• error open.JPG
    error open.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 438
  • error uninstall.JPG
    error uninstall.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 648
Did AVG uninstall correctly? Did you scrub the system before installing WOC?

Scrub, like a scan. It scanned before i uninstalled, when i got home i uninstalled, restarted, installed WOC, restarted and then the errors came.

Last edited:
I e-mailed ms and they sent me an e-mail within the hour..pretty fast...here is the how to

""OneCare has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience."

If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I fully understand the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please be assured that I will try my best to assist you.

This issue can be caused by corrupted .NET Framework components. To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we use the following steps to reinstall OneCare and .NET Framework:

Step 1:

==============

1. Save the attachment in this email to your Desktop.

2. Right click the uninstall.zip file and choose Extract.

3. Follow the instructions to extract the files to your Desktop. There will be three files extracted.

4. Double click the WOCUninstall.cmd file and you will see a command prompt window processing. When being prompted with "Would you like to reboot now?", please type Y and then press Enter. The computer will then be restarted.

5. Please try to reinstall Windows Live OneCare from the website.

Step 2:

===============

1. Click Start, click Run, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Select all .NET Framework related entries from the programs list and click Remove to uninstall them. If you encounter any error message during the uninstallation, please ignore it. If there is no error, step 3-5 are not necessary.

3. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from this following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

4. Run the utility from Start -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

5. Select all .NET Framework entries from the list and click Remove.

Step 3:

================

Please download and install .NET Framework 2.0 from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

After performing the above steps, please go to the following website to install OneCare again:

http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/default.aspx

After OneCare is installed, please check if we can open it successfully now."

I have the files for the uninstall, i wasnt sure if i could post em, so if you need em just ask...

Did this work for you FBD?

Awesome. How do you like it so far?

well im afraid to put it back on.....are you using it brad? I have avg and love it...

failurbydesign said:
well im afraid to put it back on.....are you using it brad? I have avg and love it...

I use AVG and love it as well. I love that it doesn't use that much processing power (in comparison to McAfee or Norton) and that it's free. I've been recommending it to other people that as me.

yea the avg rocks, norton always gave me problems even whenit came time to uninstall..just like onecare, which makes me uneasy

Good to know, good to know. Thanks for the heads-up. I have personally never had to uninstall Norton, I have always just reformatted:eek:

I use WOC and I love it. Simple and it does the job. I've been using it for about six months now.

I'm trying to uninstall WOC, but when I try to run the uninstaller, a box comes up that says "stopping windows onecare" (see attachment) and that box stays open forever (literally) and doesn't progress at all.

i've tried reinstalling .net framework, among other simpler things... nothing is working, and i'm getting the same problem every time. also, my windows firewall is permanently "off" (i'm guessing because onecare is trying to handle that.. but, of course, onecare isn't working or updating, so i have no firewall)

i've emailed onecare support at MS, but no response yet... any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• WOC.jpg
    WOC.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 128
Manually stop the services for Windows OneCare

Start
Run
services.msc
OK

Stop the following: Windows Live OneCare, MSMPSVC, and Microsoft Protection Service.

Thanks, Matt. That's something I hadn't tried. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same message. I even tried to stop the services even while the error message was up, but the services hadn't restarted. Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

hey, here's the email (and file) i received from microsoft, in case other people need to uninstall onecare. this file did a good job of getting rid of onecare. but thanks for your help anyways, everyone. (the file that was attached to this email is now attached to this post)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service.

From your description, I understand that Windows Live OneCare could not be removed from the Add/Remove Programs feature in control panel. When trying to remove it, the computer hanged. If I have misunderstood, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Step 1:
=============

1. Open My Computer.
2. Click Tools in the menu bar and choose Folder Options.
3. Click View tab. Drag the scroll bar to find the "Hide extensions for known file types" and click to uncheck it.

Step 2:
=============
1. Save the attachment of the email to your Desktop.
2. Right click on the guninstall.zip file and choose "Extract".
3. Follow the instructions to extract the files to your Desktop. There will be six files extracted.
4. Right click WOCUninstall.cm and choose Rename, rename the file to WOCUninstall.cmd.
5. Double click the WOCUninstall.cmd file and you will see a command prompt window processing. When being prompted with "Would you like to reboot now?", please type Y and then press Enter. The computer will be restarted then.

After restarting the computer, please check whether Windows Live OneCare has been successfully removed.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Thank you for participating in Windows Live OneCare. I look forward to your reply.
http://www.windowsonecare.com/support/Default.aspx

Attachments

• guninstall.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 117
I figured they would make that file available to you. Glad you have it sorted out.

they also sent me this, because mine is all screwed up to, but i love MS so i'm sticking with it. I had an issue where the anti virus would not work i did what you guys got above but it still didn't work on reinstallation, i got this just need to do it tonight, after i install vista, whoo hooo...

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your reply.

From your description and reviewing the attachments, I understand that the issue still exists.

Based on the current situation, I recommend that we try the following steps:

1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

3. Under System Startup, click Edit. The Boot.ini will be opened in Notepad.

4. Click Save As on the File menu, type "boot_backup.ini" for the file name, and then click OK. Close Notepad. This is a back up of the Boot.ini file.

5. Under System Startup, click Edit.

6. Locate the line of text containing "/Kernel="<name>"". Delete the text "/Kernel="<name>"" from that line.

7. Save the Boot.ini as C:\Boot.INI and close Notepad. Click OK twice.

8. Restart the computer.

9. Verify that OneCare is either Yellow or Green. If you are still experiencing the same issue after successfully performing the above steps and restarting the computer, please follow the last steps below:

10. Click "Start" then "Search" and choose All Files and Folders. In the box All or Part of the File Name enter in the following file name and click Search:

WindowsXP-KB914811-v2-x86-ENU

11. Once you have located the file, double-click the file and follow the instructions to install the update. Once the update has been installed, restart the computer. OneCare should be green or yellow, if it is not please inform your support professional for further troubleshooting.

Is the issue resolved?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

David Xiu
v-30davx@mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

i have to say that its amazing that MS is offering this for free for 6 months AND giving free tech support that in most cases responds within the hour, thats just sick...

love you MS... haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back