One thing I hate most about Windows!

S

S1RE

I really hate how I have to keep making all my customizations to windows everytime I need to reformat. I hardly ever remember all the third party software I was using and getting my computer to a stable yet eye candleful stage takes too long even today, but xp sure does help.

What you need then is 'xcopy'. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that you have to dual boot.

Install xp & tweak it how you want. Then use xcopy to back it up. When you restore it takes less than 10 minutes to be back where you tweaked it up. All fresh & ready to go again. (no more activating) :D

Could you point me to the web site so I can do my own research...

isnt there a way to do this without having to dual boot?

It's hard to believe that XCopy is the only solution. After Microsoft removed DOS from their operating system, I forgot most DOS commands. Now XCopy is all DOS based.

Why doesn't the File and Settings Transfer Wizard do its justice as it should? I've even tried backing up certain things and it ended up taking so long I ended up canceling the backup.

I really wish there was something that could be done about this- its 2003 where is the inovative technologically advanced software for this very problem?

If you seriously need something done like this, then software solutions are never as good as there hardware counter-parts.
Tape backups/raid/zip etc will do a perfect job every time.
software just tries to emulate what professionals and businesses have already been doing for years (at a cost obviously) just for the home user instead, and at a fraction of the cost.

Originally posted by sboulema
isnt there a way to do this without having to dual boot?
No. Dual boot is the only way for xcopy to work like this.

Originally posted by S1RE
I really hate how I have to keep making all my customizations to windows everytime I need to reformat. I hardly ever remember all the third party software I was using and getting my computer to a stable yet eye candleful stage takes too long even today, but xp sure does help.

Make less customisations. It all those nasty tweaks that eventually cause the darned things to flip out anyway...

Mubbers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back