One thing after another

L

lankester

Well here i am again, life is full of surprises, now i have finnaly got IE sharing, just tried to transfers some files to another machine on the network and well lets say it would be quicker to post them, yesterday when i had no IE sharing i could do 10mb in less than a minute now 5mb is taking 4minutes plus, Why o Why.

???????????:mad:

This problem is more common with users who use shared mediums for networking (such as hubs). If you are using a hub, try using a dedicated medium such as a switch. This way, the line speed stays constant.

What do u mean by a dedicated medium such as a switch?

1 pc xp and the other me, yesterday when i was having trouble sharing IE connection, transferinf files on network worked fine, now as i have explained IE connection sharing is good transfering files on the network is bad, also i have just noticed on the hub that the colllision led is flashing when ever data is been transefered , this was not the case yesterday!!!!

You should move to a switch.

Hubs operate using a shared bus technology. This means that bandwidth throughout the device is shared. If you have a ten port 100Mb hub and connected 10 computers to it, each computer would have roughly 10Mb of bandwidth that it could utilize. In real world situations, computers simply take up as much bandwidth as they can. Thus, bandwidth fluctuates. For Windows XP, this fluctuation causes the QoS to go crazy so to speak.

Switches operate using a dedicated bus technology. This means that bandwidth over a switch is dedicated per port. If you had a 10 port 100Mb switch and connected 10 computers to it, each PC would have a dedicated 100Mb connection. Since bandwidth is dedicated, not shared, the QoS simply dedicates the bandwidth to the correct amount. Thus, file transfers operate at their optimum speeds.

Hubs were originally designed to be multiport repeaters. A repeater is a device that extends data transfer longer than the 100m/300ft mark over cat5 ethernet.

The reason you are getting so many collisions is because of how hubs operate. When you send something through a port on a hub, it gets sent back out throughout all the ports, including the port that it was sent from. Switches, on the other hand, switch information over the ports based on the computer's MAC address. If you send data from PC A (MAC ABCD) to PC B (MAC DCBA), the switch will look up the port number to where PC B's MAC address is. It will then send the packet through that port and that port only.

Another, less expensive solution can be to set the Duplex setting of you NIC to "half" instead of "full" or "automatic". Hubs can only handle half dublex. Switches can handle full. The collision LED on a hub will go crazy if the NIC:s are trying to communicate with full duplex. Automatic should work, but sadly reality is often far from theory.

Switches operate using a dedicated bus technology. This means that bandwidth over a switch is dedicated per port. If you had a 10 port 100Mb switch and connected 10 computers to it, each PC would have a dedicated 100Mb connection.
This is not entirely true on cheap switches ("for home or small business use"). But for the sake of argument it's close enough.

Originally posted by Zedric
This is not entirely true on cheap switches ("for home or small business use"). But for the sake of argument it's close enough. [/B]

Yeah I know. I'm just trying not to confuse people more than they already are :D.

I haven't read through this entire thread, and maybe this is adressed, but there's a small chance you messed with some services you need to share ...

workstation, for one, plus "LanManWorkstation" is the service that allows your machine to access shared files; "LanManServer" is the one that allows it to provide shared files.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back