One of the oddest licensing terms I've seen

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
From the WordWeb license terms (http://wordweb.info/free/licence5.html)
WordWeb free version may be used indefinitely only by people who take at most two commercial flights (not more than one return flight) in any 12 month period. People who fly more than this need to purchase the Pro version if they wish to continue use it after a 30-day trial period.

Global greenhouse gas emissions are currently around 5 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person per year, and probably need to be reduced by at least 80% have a good chance of avoiding dangerous warming. Most computer users are responsible for far more emissions than is sustainable. For example two short-medium distance return flights can be equivalent to over 1 tonne of emissions1: more than an average person can safely emit over an entire year.

If you do not qualify you must uninstall the program after the 30-day trial period or purchase WordWeb Pro. The licensing model is designed to allow relatively non-wealthy people to use the program free of charge, and to provide a small incentive for other people who fly a lot to cut down.

Whenever a user no longer meets the above requirements, and they have installed the product for more than 30 days, they must uninstall the product or purchase WordWeb Pro.

There is one exception to the above: not-for-profit educational establishments may make a network installation of WordWeb for the use of their students (regardless of whether their students individually meet the licensing requirement).

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. And I had no idea flights caused so much air pollution.

Ctrl + Apple + D when hovering over a word, built in dictionary in OS X.

Sure it does. It is like any other Oxford abridged dictionary.

I found a way to emit less.

Die.

Or start riding a bike, only buying hand planted, cultivated, harvested, food. Never purchase anything that has been trucked, railed, flown, or sent seaway. Don't use lights, don't heat your home, don't drink water, don't bathe etc....

You get the picture. Most people waste more energy trying not to waste energy than if they just used common sence. Don't idle around the parking lot for 10 minutes on your cell trying to find that spot 20 feet closer. Tire pressure? Anyone checked theirs recently? Do you need AC on in the car all the time, how about at home, if you are gone for a day turn it off.

But using common sence is asking too much for most people.

For example two short-medium distance return flights can be equivalent to over 1 tonne of emissions1: more than an average person can safely emit over an entire year.
Isolationism is the key to reducing emissions. Traveling pollutes! Also, why are they picking on airline travelers first when OMG CHINA is out there. Don't get me wrong, nice effort. But why would they go for small fry when there's a whale out there?

Last edited:
So if you die do you get to continue using the free version?

As long as they don't have to fly your body more than once, I would think so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back