onboard sound

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
Does anyone know what % of performace you will gain/lose with having onboard sound enabled/disabled in bios?
In other words, will i see a gain in performace if i buy a sound card and disable my onboard sound?

and repeat the same question for onboard NIC's (as im thinking about replacing both with PCI cards)

motherboard:is7
cpu 3.2 800fsb
1 gig ram pc 3200

thanks in advance

With a computer like that, any performance gained will be so marginal that you won't even notice it. Yeah, you'll probably gain a teeny amount of performance. The only thing you'll gain out of a soundcard rather than onboard sound is better sound quality. If you're a big music listener, or if you like EAX etc. in games, do yourself a favor and get yourself a soundcard. I doubt you'll gain absolutely anything by replacing onboard NICs with PCI cards.

Replacing an onboard NIC may even lower the performance since you'd connect it through the PCI bus instead of directly through the chipset (unless the chipset uses the PCI bus for the onboard NIC as well).

i disabled sound and nic in bios... ran 3d mark... gained NOTHING .... :)

you will likely get lowered cpu utilization vis-a-vis discrete sound card v/s integrated...

generally this translates into (theoretically) a better performance... but I have not seen a boost ;)

generally, you simply get better sound quality, and the fact you have a discrete product, if its fubar, you simply replace it rather than the whole system...

Depedns what your onboard sound is.

if its an nforce 2 with soundstorm then you wont make a difference, if its not then you'll probably get better soudnd by plugging in an audigy1/2

celticfan11 said:
i disabled sound and nic in bios... ran 3d mark... gained NOTHING .... :)
That's no surprise since 3DMark doesn't use the sound card in benchmark mode. ;)

Not that you'd see a difference anway probably.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back