On Screen Display for Volume

T

tinkerlock

I have a keyboard with buttons for mute and volume control. When I was using it with Windows 98, I would see a green display momentarily on the screen whenever I pressed one of the buttons (actually mute stayed on the screen the whole time the sound was muted). Now I'm using Windows XP and the mute and volume buttons still do mute and control the volume, but there's no more "On Screen Display". I kind of miss that. Does anybody know how to get Windows XP to do that? BTW, it's a whole new computer, I just re-used a few things, like mouse, keyboard, monitor.

Thanks.
Dan

you'll need to install the software for your keyboard. whos the manufacturer and whats the model #?

HAHAHA

Sorry I to do that, I used to do pavilion support here in Az. Anyway the software program for the keyboard is on your recovery cd's if you have 2 it's on the 2nd. Under keyboards, or hplaunch somthing or another. There also a way to edit the display size and color though I belive through keyboard.ini. anyway the reason why uyou don't have them anymore is becasue the sofwtare is not installed anymore, if you search the old HP Pavilion support forums for HPpavtech57 (moi) there a whole bunch of stuff I documented on the keybaord software and launch features, as well as general Pavilion fixes/hacks/tweaks. Hope this helps

I'll clarify
If its from an older HP, it won't do everything it used to do

you will have to download the win2K drivers, or PM and I'll send them along.

btw,

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the MOBO in my box. I know its a pegasus, that's all. My box is (was) a Pavilion 9720/9800

It's a Compaq. The model # is SK-2800. I do have 2 recovery disks, so, although it's not an HP, I'm sure the solution is similar.

Thanks. I'll let you all know what I find out.

AmarSingh: yes, the old pc was a presario 5736. I tried the driver you gave me the link to, and it didn't work. It's not really a big deal, but it was a cool feature, and if I could have it on my new pc, i'd like to.

Yes, it is a compaq easy access keyboard. thank you for the link. i am very familiar with using compaq's "softpaq's" since the old pc was a compaq and I used it for 3 years.

I was already aware of the softpaq you directed me to, but I didn't try it because the new computer is not a compaq. I figured the softpaq's were only for the compaqs. But since you recommended it, I tried installing it anyway, but it didn't work.

It didn't seem to hurt anything. In fact, I can't see where it got installed on my new PC, if it did at all. It's certainly not listed as the driver for the keyboard. I set a restore point just before i installed the softpaq, but I did not revert back since it doesn't look like anything's actually been installed.

Thanks for trying to help.

Dan

Try looking around eBay.

I've seen some people that buy surplus keyboards in bulk and sell them in a Dutch auction. There's usually a download link to the drivers right in the auction description. If not, someone should be kind enough to send you a copy if you email them nicely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back