OMG,. help help!!!! please

• Thread starter Flatbeat_Eddy
  • Start date
F

Flatbeat_Eddy

Ok, i just installed my new 40 gig HD as my SLAVE drive, but the icon wont appear in MY COMPUTER, it is displayed in my sytems foder and such so i guess the drive is working.

How do i go about installing a new drive?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please help me.

thx

matt

try changing the jumper settings on your slave drive to cable select

XP should pick it up automatically

:cool:

OH WAIT< i just realised,, the white bit on the HD drive says to det to middle if its the master With a slave and so forth!!!! THX MAN!!!!!!!

OK, i now STILL dont have the second drive icon??? why???

The reason why assuming the jumpers are set correctly is that you need to format the drive to either ntfs or fat32. Then the OS will 'see' the drive.

That step is always missed. You have to format before you can use the drive. You might want to start with the utilities that came with the drive to do this. :D

start / run

diskmgmt.msc

right click & format

from the drop down menus

choose your filing system & cluster size

diskmgmt.msc, cool, how do i know what CLUSTER size to use,,

i have a 40gig Western digital caviar drive,, 7200 rpm.

hmmm try going to control panel> Administrative tools> computer management> and then you should see the new drive and just right click and select format the drive or something like that.

well, i plan on using the 40gig as a MASTER drive now, which means ill be installing winXP onto it,, .

can i WIPE the old drive clean and use it as an extra storage space?

THX you guyz for all your help.

depends on the files your storing on it

for large files large - large clusters
small files - small clusters

warning though
FAT32 has limitations
NTFS loses its compression abilites if you change its cluster size

if your not sure leave it set to default

Well, i want to use the OLD drive for LARGE video files so i guess LARGE clusters for that!!

and ill have windows on 40Gig drive, and mostly programs and games? will Large be good there also?

install XP to your 40 gig before you attach the old drive

other wise XP will configure itself for 2 OS's & you will have trouble getting rid of the old XP install

OK, cool. thx for the help, you may have saved me ALOT of bother.

Thx all!!

The drive thats housing XP if your not using partitions
format NTFS default cluster = 4KB

ok, is that just for NTFS? i plan on using NTFS!

i only want ONE install of WINXP, no partitions!! so i can have a total STORAGE space upto 60gb including the old 20 gb hd!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back