• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

OMG,. help help!!!! please

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

Ok, i just installed my new 40 gig HD as my SLAVE drive, but the icon wont appear in MY COMPUTER, it is displayed in my sytems foder and such so i guess the drive is working.

How do i go about installing a new drive?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please help me.

thx

matt

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

OH WAIT< i just realised,, the white bit on the HD drive says to det to middle if its the master With a slave and so forth!!!! THX MAN!!!!!!!

P

PseudoKiller

The reason why assuming the jumpers are set correctly is that you need to format the drive to either ntfs or fat32. Then the OS will 'see' the drive.

B

bruce_ers00

That step is always missed. You have to format before you can use the drive. You might want to start with the utilities that came with the drive to do this. :D

2z

OSNN Gamer
start / run

diskmgmt.msc

right click & format

from the drop down menus

choose your filing system & cluster size

:cool:

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

diskmgmt.msc, cool, how do i know what CLUSTER size to use,,

i have a 40gig Western digital caviar drive,, 7200 rpm.

P

PseudoKiller

hmmm try going to control panel> Administrative tools> computer management> and then you should see the new drive and just right click and select format the drive or something like that.

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

well, i plan on using the 40gig as a MASTER drive now, which means ill be installing winXP onto it,, .

can i WIPE the old drive clean and use it as an extra storage space?

THX you guyz for all your help.

2z

OSNN Gamer
depends on the files your storing on it

for large files large - large clusters
small files - small clusters

warning though
FAT32 has limitations
NTFS loses its compression abilites if you change its cluster size

if your not sure leave it set to default

:cool:

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

Well, i want to use the OLD drive for LARGE video files so i guess LARGE clusters for that!!

and ill have windows on 40Gig drive, and mostly programs and games? will Large be good there also?

2z

OSNN Gamer
install XP to your 40 gig before you attach the old drive

other wise XP will configure itself for 2 OS's & you will have trouble getting rid of the old XP install

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

i only want ONE install of WINXP, no partitions!! so i can have a total STORAGE space upto 60gb including the old 20 gb hd!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies